Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I have had the AirPods Pro since release and while I will admit that I only get the Fit Test to show positive if I physically hold the AirPods in my ears while the test is running, I never get what I would consider decent results from the Active Noice Cancellation. It will slightly muffle outside noises (like when my wife and I have competing TV sets running - me upstairs in the loft area and her below me in the family - or when she is sitting downstairs and talking loudly to her friends or on the telephone) but never actually gets silent if I am wearing the AirPods and not playing anything through them.
Now perhaps I am expecting too much (these were my first pair of either earbuds or headphones that had ANC of any kind), but bit disappointed.
I was told by an Apple person in the local Apple Store that when she wears hers in the store itself (with lots of people talking) she gets great results and she suggested I call support because supposedly Apple is replacing people who have this "issue" and have the early releases of the AirPods Pro. Finally got them replaced (long story) and I really don't notice any noticeable difference.
So, aside from either purchasing something like the AirPods Max (which I tried and was as expected much better at ANC), and I tried the Comply Foam tips which to me were not as comfortable as the Apple Tips and were not that much better, any other tips or suggestions.
Thanks for any advice.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I do not experience the issues you have. Airpods Pro offer rather good NC for their design for me. Obviously my Sony WH-1000XM3 offer better NC but they are over the head headphones.

However I have an issue that Airpods Pro having plastic build would slip up a bit from my ears. So in the first 2-3 minutes the fit would be great and thus offer adequate NC but then they would slip up and the fit/NC would be compromised to an extent. I decided to order Elago Earbuds Cover (https://www.elago.com/earhooks-1/ai...-6-pairs-2-large-2-medium-2-small-white-w537r) and to test them out. I got positive results - the fit is secure in my ears and as a result of that I got better NC. Also comfort on my side is better this way - no plastic feeling in my ears.

Maybe you can try this?

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I do not experience the issues you have. Airpods Pro offer rather good NC for their design for me. Obviously my Sony WH-1000XM3 offer better NC but they are over the head headphones.

However I have an issue that Airpods Pro having plastic build would slip up a bit from my ears. So in the first 2-3 minutes the fit would be great and thus offer adequate NC but then they would slip up and the fit/NC would be compromised to an extent. I decided to order Elago Earbuds Cover (https://www.elago.com/earhooks-1/ai...-6-pairs-2-large-2-medium-2-small-white-w537r) and to test them out. I got positive results - the fit is secure in my ears and as a result of that I got better NC. Also comfort on my side is better this way - no plastic feeling in my ears.

Maybe you can try this?
I don’t have an issue with them getting loose or slipping up. Get basically the same music and ANC quality from the beginning. But thanks for the suggestion. Might look into it.

Reactions: secretk

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
my ear holes are larger than average, I can't the regular wired apple EarPods to stay in even if I'm perfectly still.

I had tried on the APpros in the store (back when you could) and couldn't even get the large tips to pass the fit test

A couple months ago I found the comply foam tips, they still fit in the case, and let me get a good seal

with a good seal, almost no voice gets in, and they do a decent job of keeping out most noises, even the subway.

before buying new tips,
You could experiment with the different sizes of apple's tips, or take a couple steps to make sure yours are seated well. For me, I get the best fit when I pull back on my ear, and then kinda twist the AirPod in. If I'm putting in the right, I'll reach behind my head with my left arm. grab the back of my ear, and pull back slightly. I'll then put the AirPod in with the stem pretty much lined up like normal, but rotated a bit forward towards my chin, and twisting the stem down as I put them in.

you might also need to wear them pointing further forward or back compared to others to make them seal in your ear.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I don’t have an issue with them getting loose or slipping up. Get basically the same music and ANC quality from the beginning. But thanks for the suggestion. Might look into it.
I understand. The thing is that there are two options - you either have a really good fit and you just expect stronger NC than what Airpods Pro can offer or you have average fit that if improved, can improve the NC experience. I provided the covers with the hope that it is the second option and they might offer you better fit than what AirPods Pro offer out of the box.

I also do not get the best NC from the Airpods Pro when I am not listening to music. If I am listening to podcasts or YouTube video, I can hear my own footsteps when I walk for example. I can also hear the water running for example. They manage to block my air conditioner and they do silence voices. If my parents are talking to me while I am with the pods in NC mode, I can hear they are talking to me but I cannot hear what they are saying. So maybe you experience good fit, but expect more than what they are offering in terms of NC. Cannot say.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
They are not that great anymore. Some say software updates are to blame. Can’t really do much about it

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I understand. The thing is that there are two options - you either have a really good fit and you just expect stronger NC than what Airpods Pro can offer or you have average fit that if improved, can improve the NC experience. I provided the covers with the hope that it is the second option and they might offer you better fit than what AirPods Pro offer out of the box.

I also do not get the best NC from the Airpods Pro when I am not listening to music. If I am listening to podcasts or YouTube video, I can hear my own footsteps when I walk for example. I can also hear the water running for example. They manage to block my air conditioner and they do silence voices. If my parents are talking to me while I am with the pods in NC mode, I can hear they are talking to me but I cannot hear what they are saying. So maybe you experience good fit, but expect more than what they are offering in terms of NC. Cannot say.
It might be your first suggestion that my expectations of the ANC are just probably not what the AirPods Pro can accomplish. Read two articles online about what ANC can actually work on and apparently people speaking and TV sets playing (which is mostly people speaking) apparently are two things that ANC is NOT good at eliminating. I had the AP Maxes for about a week - when Amazon had their Black Friday discount and another discount for getting their Prime Credit Card (got a total of about $280 off so felt it was time to try them) and I was very impressed with their ANC. But granted from what I have read that is primarily because of the PASSIVE NC that is there because of the design.
Ah well - thanks of the suggestions. Might try the Comply tips again just to satisfy myself that I didn't like them the first time I tried foam tips.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
It might be your first suggestion that my expectations of the ANC are just probably not what the AirPods Pro can accomplish. Read two articles online about what ANC can actually work on and apparently people speaking and TV sets playing (which is mostly people speaking) apparently are two things that ANC is NOT good at eliminating. I had the AP Maxes for about a week - when Amazon had their Black Friday discount and another discount for getting their Prime Credit Card (got a total of about $280 off so felt it was time to try them) and I was very impressed with their ANC. But granted from what I have read that is primarily because of the PASSIVE NC that is there because of the design.
Ah well - thanks of the suggestions. Might try the Comply tips again just to satisfy myself that I didn't like them the first time I tried foam tips.

I can confirm that ANC is not good when it comes to blocking people talking. Especially the earbuds. They are good with low frequency noise (airplane, subway, vacuum cleaner, washing machine etc). My Sony over the head are a bit better (compared to the pods) but it is because the better isolation. Most probably it helps also that they have I think 6 microphones on each earcup to cancel noise. I think that AirPods Max are spotting similar design and setup in terms of microphones.

Sucks that you do not enjoy the third party tips/covers that exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.