Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Hi. Thank you in advance for any advice offered on this question.

I have a longtime website regarding my music and writing with Dreamhost... I own the domain name, it's my name. I did the site with iWeb and it's become outdated; I think I'd be best served to switch over to a website builder like Squarespace. Please feel free to share your thoughts on which you feel are the best ones. I love all the choices regarding templates and am good with design in this context, the ability to customize, but minimal or no knowledge of web design... which I don't intend to learn. I have enough to worry about promoting and managing my music stuff. So, something like Squarespace would fit me well.

My issue is, I have a long time blog published at Dreamhost (they have an excellent, one click Dreampress function) on which I have devoted much time to the design and to the content, with some good reviews and attention. I'm wondering, is there a way to keep that and use some kind of mirroring or URL redirecting (sorry I don't know the exact terminology), so that I could keep my Wordpress blog with Dreamhost, but set up my personal website and domain name with Squarespace or similar.

Thank you again for any help.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I've also become interested in Wix, instead of Squarespace. Please feel free to share any thoughts on that. Thank you again for any replies.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
That's easy enough, you just get a new domain, point that to the nameserver of the new host it choose and get it going!

Personally not a fan is square space but I hear the learning curve is low. I use WordPress personally....

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I've tried the 14 day trial at Squarespace; I think their templates are elegant and beautiful. They are super helpful with tech support. Still, I found it challenging to learn I had to write to them a lot. I think Wix is probably a lot easier, just drag and drop... although it will look less exquisite. I plan to try Wix. Mostly I just want to do music and not worry about my website. Which is unfortunate... because it doesn't get built if I don't work at it, lol. So I plan to try Wix, maybe it's a lot easier. Thanks for all the replies.

charliemacos

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2014
My issue is, I have a long time blog published at Dreamhost (they have an excellent, one click Dreampress function) on which I have devoted much time to the design and to the content, with some good reviews and attention. I'm wondering, is there a way to keep that and use some kind of mirroring or URL redirecting (sorry I don't know the exact terminology), so that I could keep my Wordpress blog with Dreamhost, but set up my personal website and domain name with Squarespace or similar.

Most likely yes. The best way would probably be to set up a subdomain so that your blog would be something like http://blog.mydomain.com and your main website would be http://mydomain.com

You would have to contact Dreamhost and have them;

1. Move your WordPress site to the subdomain
2. Ask if they subdomain and the main domain can have separate A records. The subdomain should point to Dreamhost and the main domain to SquareSpace (or Wix)

If you liked iWeb, you may like EverWeb as it is modelled after it and is continually update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.