Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonMacRumorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
I'd like to be able to take a screenshot on my mac and mark it up using an iPad. What are your opinions on the best way to do this?

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
You can drop it into iCloud Drive or airdrop it to your iPad and then markup from there.

JasonMacRumorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
Which part?

I use iCloud so all my photos are everywhere. Open the photo on the iPad and hit Edit and markup.

I'm trying to markup screenshots I take on the computer. I don't think this would work for my use case

You can drop it into iCloud Drive or airdrop it to your iPad and then markup from there.

I was hoping there'd be a more efficient way than this :( something like the way you can copy/paste across devices

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You could use a shortcut via the Shortcuts app from the Today screen or a home screen shortcut. You'd setup your screenshot to save to the clipboard in the Screenshot Mac app and then the shortcut itself is just the "Get Clipboard", "Markup", and "Share/Save File/or Save to Photo Album" actions.

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I'm trying to markup screenshots I take on the computer. I don't think this would work for my use case

I was hoping there'd be a more efficient way than this :( something like the way you can copy/paste across devices

What you're asking for and your responses to the advice are contradictory and confusing. You're asking what's the best way to get a Mac screenshot to your iPad to be marked up. Why do you think Copy & Paste is more efficient than syncing?

The best way is sync the screenshot file - it can be in Photos, Notes, iCloud Drive, Dropbox. Whatever you want to use and easily done via the share sheet extensions. If you send it Airdrop it, it'll be saved in Photos. From whatever app you choose to use to sync or send, just open the file and edit to mark it up with iOS built in tools.

There is also an app called Skitch that works great and you have the option to have it automatically sync in an Evernote account. That's your "one stop shop" app if you want to do everything with an Evernote account.

Last edited:

JasonMacRumorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
Why do you think Copy & Paste is more efficient than syncing?

I was just trying to point out how painless of a process copy & pasting is. Same with handoff and being able to open up a webpage you are looking at on one device on another. I guess that's what I'm looking for: being able to take a screenshot on my computer and hand it off to my iPad for markup, then saving it to iCloud or something.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I was just trying to point out how painless of a process copy & pasting is. Same with handoff and being able to open up a webpage you are looking at on one device on another. I guess that's what I'm looking for: being able to take a screenshot on my computer and hand it off to my iPad for markup, then saving it to iCloud or something.

I'm not sure you understand the share sheet or how it works as it simplifies the process. Handoff is basically syncing text.

The easiest is do the screenshot on the Mac, use the share sheet to save it to Notes or Photos. Open Notes or Photos on iPad. Mark it up as desired. When done, hit the share sheet icon on your iPad and save it where you like.

If you really want to cut & paste: Take the screenshot on your Mac. Save it to the desktop. Copy it, paste it to Notes on your Mac. Open Notes on your iPad. Markup from there.

JasonMacRumorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
If you really want to cut & paste: Take the screenshot on your Mac. Save it to the desktop. Copy it, paste it to Notes on your Mac. Open Notes on your iPad. Markup from there.

I'm guessing you don't know about this gem. But you can take a screenshot and copy it to the clipboard instead of a file. Then on your iPad you can just paste it into whatever app you are using.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
There is the Universal Clipboard too. As long as the OSs are of the correct versions, you could copy it to the clipboard on your Mac and the paste on your iPad. Honestly, this seems like more work.

Reactions: 0970373

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I'm guessing you don't know about this gem. But you can take a screenshot and copy it to the clipboard instead of a file. Then on your iPad you can just paste it into whatever app you are using.

I do and it's still syncing via iCloud. What app are you trying to paste it into and how long does it take vs syncing the way I've explained? Your OP asked for the best way and that's what people have been offering. There are definitely other ways that are less efficient.

Last edited:

JasonMacRumorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
So using photos isn't an option because I don't want to clutter up my photos with screenshots.

The methods you described would certainly work, it's—more or less—the process I've used. I am trying to see if there is a more efficient, direct way to do it.

If I am understanding correctly your workflow is something like:
  1. take a screenshot on mac
  2. open and paste it into notes
  3. open note on iPad
  4. edit image
  5. Airdrop it back to mac

whereas if I’m just on the mac I can (on latest OS):
  1. take screenshot
  2. mark it up and save

It'd be really nice if, instead of marking it up on the mac, I can use my iPad to do it then save

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
So using photos isn't an option because I don't want to clutter up my photos with screenshots.

The methods you described would certainly work, it's—more or less—the process I've used. I am trying to see if there is a more efficient, direct way to do it.

If I am understanding correctly your workflow is something like:
  1. take a screenshot on mac
  2. open and paste it into notes
  3. open note on iPad
  4. edit image
  5. Airdrop it back to mac

whereas if I’m just on the mac I can (on latest OS):
  1. take screenshot
  2. mark it up and save

It'd be really nice if, instead of marking it up on the mac, I can use my iPad to do it then save

Share sheet just lets you save it or send it where you want to in 1 click. I'm not sure why you find it so complicated? But what you're asking isn't possible as it requires sending the file somehow from one operating system to another. It has to sync - you can call it copy & paste or handoff or continuity - it's all just fancy words for syncing. You have to move it from one device to another so of course it involves more steps than editing it on the device you're already on.

That said, Airdropping it is the easiest way (as @gixxerfool pointed out) but it does open up in Photos. Once you save it wherever you want to post-edit, you can delete it from the Camera Roll. Best of luck.

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 4.34.36 PM.png

Last edited:

JasonMacRumorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
I'm not sure why you find it so complicated?

It's fine for one screenshot or when you can markup a bunch of images at once. But if you need to do it on the go or at unpredictable intervals while working on some task, the process starts to slow you down and the context switching tax starts to become real.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Screenshot taken on a "MAC" you would open it up in Preview and Mark it up.

Screenshot taken on Mac - AirDrop it to the iPad - Open Photos and select the Mark up feature.

Either way will work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.