Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somndrom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
I'm finally moving to Apple Silicon and ever since my first Macbook in 2011 I've done migrations using Time Machine. There's probably a lot of useless fluff, incomplete uninstall files and so on, so I will try to a manual move this time. Also because I think it's a good idea to manually make sure I have Silicone native installs for everything running on the machine for optimum performance.

Is there a recommended way or a guide for doing a manual move? I'm thinking of stuff like libraries and interlinked software. For example the Music app library (which in turn is linked to Rekordbox), Adobe Lightroom library, general software license stuff (the licenses are hopefully the easiest part).

I understand I will probably have to look into all these cases on an individual basis, but maybe there are some best practices? My current plan is to put the files I need on a drive and download the actual applications from the vendors for a fresh reinstall.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A manual migration like you suggest is A LOT of work. I've done similar.

If you're going to do it, I suggest that you first create a cloned backup of your CURRENT drive, and work from that (so you can do it "in the finder"). And you must address permissions problems as well.

You're going to have to keep notes as to "what goes where", particularly with the support and ancillary files from your apps.

Really, I'm thinking it would be better to just "do it the Apple way" by using setup assistant the first time you boot the new Mac.

And again, if you use SA, my recommendation is that you AGAIN use a cloned backup, created with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

somndrom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020

If you're going to do it, I suggest that you first create a cloned backup of your CURRENT drive, and work from that (so you can do it "in the finder"). And you must address permissions problems as well.

You're going to have to keep notes as to "what goes where", particularly with the support and ancillary files from your apps.

Really, I'm thinking it would be better to just "do it the Apple way" by using setup assistant the first time you boot the new Mac.

And again, if you use SA, my recommendation is that you AGAIN use a cloned backup, created with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.
Hey,
thanks for the input.

I do keep a time machine backup on a drive so I could use that for parts of the move. I haven't done a clean install in well over a decade though so it feels lots of junk on a system and application level comes with it if I were to do a time machine transfer once again. Adobe and lots of other developers are horrible with doing clean uninstalls so there's lots of junk around, weird startup items that are not identifiable and so on.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
I do keep a time machine backup on a drive so I could use that for parts of the move. I haven't done a clean install in well over a decade though so it feels lots of junk on a system and application level comes with it if I were to do a time machine transfer once again. Adobe and lots of other developers are horrible with doing clean uninstalls so there's lots of junk around, weird startup items that are not identifiable and so on.

Yup... you are right on this. The other thing is as macOS evolves, some legacy files get left behind by apps that have to adapt to keep up, or if you've moved on to alternatives. I try to do a clean install every 3-5 years. Since it's been over 10 for you, you are definitely long overdue. A LOT has changed in that time!

I personally would recommend making not just a Time Machine backup, but also a 2nd cloned backup as a safety net. Ideally, boot off the cloned drive; wipe the internal drive; and install macOS clean. Then boot back off the internal drive and set up your Apple iCloud account. Once done, keep that clone attached and copy over contents from your User folder, like documents, videos, music, etc. Go through one folder at a time. Just drill on down and be very meticulous about it. Next, manually copy one app at a time over. Run each one after copying and check your settings/preferences. In some cases, you may want to dig into your backup and pull preference files from your User Library to more easily get you back to where you were.

What I like to do, once this is all done, is copy /Library and ~/Library from my Backup drive to a backup folder I place on my Desktop. I'll then dive through and delete folders I know I don't need to carry over, consider anything that may have preferences or support files that I may need and put them where they need to go. Again... gotta be very meticulous about this. It does take some patience and understanding of just what one is doing and looking at. But the key thing is to have multiple backups so you have options in case you make a mistake.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden

It doesn’t have to be.

I always set up a new computer from scratch.

I make an encrypted disk image of the old computer and keep it on the new drive, so anything I need to check or transfer is easily accessible. After a few weeks I move the image to long-term storage.

somndrom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Ideally, boot off the cloned drive; wipe the internal drive; and install macOS clean. Then boot back off the internal drive and set up your Apple iCloud account.
Hey, thanks for the advice.

Not sure I completely understood that very first part of the process (quoted part), do you think you could go over it in a bit more detail?

I'm coming from a place where I'm keeping my old computer for now (intending to sell it on) until the move has been confirmed to fully work. I also have a Time Machine drive. The new computer is not yet unpacked so I assume it will be asking me for what I want to do when I power it on. That's where I should make it boot from the User Profile off the Time Machine backup (but to not transfer the rest of the files as I'll do those manually), correct?

somndrom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
It doesn’t have to be.

I always set up a new computer from scratch.

I make an encrypted disk image of the old computer and keep it on the new drive, so anything I need to check or transfer is easily accessible. After a few weeks I move the image to long-term storage.
Do you transfer the user profile upon first boot or do you go completely from scratch?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
im thinking of starting everything new on all my 4 apple devices December 31st, 2023.
just from scratch no older folders or movies then keep 30% free and available.
there is so and too much data I never use.
and perhaps stick with Monterey for a year or the next OS.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Do you transfer the user profile upon first boot or do you go completely from scratch?

Completely from scratch.

Basically I:

• Sign in to iCloud
  • Install App Store apps
  • Install other apps
  • Copy over config and library files (many are stored in iCloud Drive, so I just link it correctly)
  • Install and configure Backblaze
  • Configure everything else

My MacBook was stolen a while back, but I was up and running pretty much where I left off just a few hours later, so I think my cloud strategy is pretty solid.

somndrom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Completely from scratch.

Basically I:

* Sign in to iCloud
* Install App Store apps
* Install other apps
* Copy over config and library files (many are stored in iCloud Drive, so I just link it correctly)
* Configure everything else

My MacBook was stolen a while back, but I was up and running pretty much where I left off just a few hours later, so I think my cloud strategy is pretty solid.
Cheers, that sounds great actually.

Without going anything personal or integrity compromising, do you mind giving me an example of a few config and library files that would be relevant to copy over?

I'm already planning on doing this for the Apps themselves but anything on a system level?

EDIT:
And also, how much a headache is it to set up your e-mail with multiple accounts and 10+ years of backlog if you start clean, does the iCloud login help out transfer that or is it all manual work?

Reactions: orbital~debris

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Ideally, boot off the cloned drive; wipe the internal drive; and install macOS clean.
This is not necessary on modern Macs. System Settings > Erase all content and settings returns any modern Mac to factory fresh condition without reinstalling. Also, the OP is setting up a brand new machine, so it’s already clean. He only needs to bring over user stuff.

Reactions: An-apple-a-day

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
I would skip the library restore. It’s a personal taste, but that’s where a lot of the conflict files are and useless weight. Sometimes I copy some preference files but sometimes it’s nice to reorientate yourself with those.

Here’s how I do it:
  • clean install macOS on new computer (if necessary)
  • sign into all my internet accounts
  • install all licensed software I use, and any other software
  • manually copy the contents of the following folders:
    • Downloads
    • documents (if not brought by iCloud)
    • desktop (if not brought by iCloud)
    • Photos (do this before initial photos app open)
    • Movies
    • Music
Then I’m done. Maybe you’ll find personal junk along the way. I know I sometimes do.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Hey, thanks for the advice.

Not sure I completely understood that very first part of the process (quoted part), do you think you could go over it in a bit more detail?

I'm coming from a place where I'm keeping my old computer for now (intending to sell it on) until the move has been confirmed to fully work. I also have a Time Machine drive. The new computer is not yet unpacked so I assume it will be asking me for what I want to do when I power it on. That's where I should make it boot from the User Profile off the Time Machine backup (but to not transfer the rest of the files as I'll do those manually), correct?

Ah, never mind the first part. My bad.. I forgot you said you were starting with a new Mac. I'd go ahead, boot that up. Set up iCloud with your existing credentials. Then manually move files and data over. You could just connect to your other Mac over Wi-Fi and copy files that way.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
This is not necessary on modern Macs. System Settings > Erase all content and settings returns any modern Mac to factory fresh condition without reinstalling.

This is true. One thing I keep forgetting is how well the core OS is siloed off.

Also, the OP is setting up a brand new machine, so it’s already clean. He only needs to bring over user stuff.

Yah, I forgot that little tidbit as I was replying.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Without going anything personal or integrity compromising, do you mind giving me an example of a few config and library files that would be relevant to copy over?

I'm already planning on doing this for the Apps themselves but anything on a system level?

Not really, I prefer to set everything up fresh so that I don't bring over files that are corrupt or have cruft in them. The exceptions are my shell config files, some shell scripts and my Cyberduck configuration but they are all in iCloud drive. One thing I always forgot from ~/library was the Stickies file, but I recently moved everything from there to Notes, so that is no longer an issue.

Also, Lightroom is an ideal Mac citizen, you just need to copy over the folder.

And also, how much a headache is it to set up your e-mail with multiple accounts and 10+ years of backlog if you start clean, does the iCloud login help out transfer that or is it all manual work?

If you only use IMAP you simply need to sign in to your accounts again, or if you've chosen to include e-mail accounts in iCloud, they'll just show up. (I have not.)

If you have e-mail stored locally (I do, going back 30 years) you can quite easily export the mailboxes you want to keep from your current computer and then import them.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
I go fresh every time.

My files are all in iCloud, so I let the thing sync.
The only file I tend to copy is my Photos one, it’s 70Gb

I purposely leave all of my movies off the hard drive to keep it clean. Again they’re in iCloud if I need them.

When I was developing it was a bit of a pain as system files needed editing, however this was always the case whenever the system upgraded itself.

That said I use very few Massive apps that aren’t on the App store these days!

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Oh this is a good topic. I've thought of it similarly. For the past many times I've upgraded, I used the Migration tool. The next time I upgrade, which will be to a Silicon Mac, I don't want to use that tool because it migrates a lot of useless stuff and other legacy programs, associated program files, etc that are no longer needed and that I don't have an easy way to delete because beside the obvious App that can be deleted, it's not clear what supporting files can be.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I always start my Macs fresh. I stopped using the TM to migrate to new Macs. usually my backups are older versions, and I tend to use my Mac’s 5-8 years. I have key files backed up in icloud, and external SSD. It takes a day to setup all libraries, dev tools, and other dependencies. I restore my code and environmental settings from GitHub. Most of my files are on the network anyways.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Another fan of a fresh start with a new machine..... I begin by starting up the new machine and first go through the usual process, including signing into iCloud, which then automatically takes care of the items I already have connected in there (mail, bookmarks, favorites, etc.). I then go through the new machine's settings categories and adjust them to my preferences. Next I plug in the external drive which I have already prepared with current backups of my Desktop, Documents, Movies, Music and Pictures folders, copying/dragging and dropping each folder to its appropriate location.

Once that is completed, I then add in (download current versions) any apps that I want in the machine. If it is a secondary machine, meant mainly for travel and does not have as much storage capacity as my primary machine, I am selective about which apps I need in there. Usually there are a few little odds-and-ends of things I've forgotten to tweak, so I'll deal with those as they crop up and I'm reminded of them.

Although it takes some time, it's worth it to me to be able to fine-tune the new machine to my liking and also it is a good way to see if there are any issues with it right off the bat. As previously mentioned, too, in other posts in this thread, it is also a way to ensure that one is not filling up a new machine with cruft from older machines.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
I would skip the library restore. It’s a personal taste, but that’s where a lot of the conflict files are and useless weight. Sometimes I copy some preference files but sometimes it’s nice to reorientate yourself with those.

Here’s how I do it:
  • clean install macOS on new computer (if necessary)
  • sign into all my internet accounts
  • install all licensed software I use, and any other software
  • manually copy the contents of the following folders:
    • Downloads
    • documents (if not brought by iCloud)
    • desktop (if not brought by iCloud)
    • Photos (do this before initial photos app open)
    • Movies
    • Music
Then I’m done. Maybe you’ll find personal junk along the way. I know I sometimes do.
This. Clean as clean can be imo.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022

I’ve had some apps store data in the User Library that needs preserving. Games in particular do this a lot with saved games. They really should be using the User Documents folder IMO, but many just don’t.

Reactions: zapmymac

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I’ll be doing this and treating it as an excuse to tidy up my files and delete the stuff I don’t use.

I have all my daily files stored in the cloud and the same with my photos and videos. I’m going to just log into iCloud and let it do the work. My new machine has a larger internal so once it’s all downloaded from the cloud I’m gonna switch it off and manage my files locally. I might even do this on my current machine and have it already on an external for when the new one comes

My biggest issue with the move is moving my iTunes library as I know it will mess up my artwork files 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: zapmymac

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
I’ll be doing this and treating it as an excuse to tidy up my files and delete the stuff I don’t use.

I have all my daily files stored in the cloud and the same with my photos and videos. I’m going to just log into iCloud and let it do the work. My new machine has a larger internal so once it’s all downloaded from the cloud I’m gonna switch it off and manage my files locally. I might even do this on my current machine and have it already on an external for when the new one comes

My biggest issue with the move is moving my iTunes library as I know it will mess up my artwork files 🤦‍♂️
Just thinking about an iTunes Library messes it up 🤨😟

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022

Why would it mess up? I have moved my iTunes library with more than 10 K songs with artwork. Take a back up and move small part of the library to test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.