Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brosenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I am using the Apple Remote Desktop app to connect to an iMac at home while traveling, using Tailscale because I don't have a Public IP (I am behind CGNAT), all works fine.

The only issue is that the screen on the remote iMac will always turn ON while connected remotely, is there another solution that will allow me to connect without turning on the screen of the remote device?

Thanks

Reactions: sam008

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
The only issue is that the screen on the remote iMac will always turn ON while connected remotely
Whilst it is an annoyance, I would argue that it is a security feature. The screen turning on, gives the owner (if anywhere nearby) some warning that something unexpected may be happening.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
The only issue is that the screen on the remote iMac will always turn ON while connected remotely, is there another solution that will allow me to connect without turning on the screen of the remote device?
Jeez, it's been forever since I've used ARD.. I think ARD has a "Curtain" feature which essentially does what you are asking.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
I think with curtain the screen turns on but it displays a message. Is there a reason you don't want the screen to be explicitly on? You could rig a hotkey to lower the brightness or something. Or maybe using switchresx to deactivate the display would work for you?

On MBPs with the lid closed the screen is completely off, so it's technically possible to do this 'completely', it just needs to be done at a lower level than userspace, to prevent the display from even showing up in the iokit hierarchy.

SunMac

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2018
I do this with a Mac Mini all the time but since you are connecting to an iMac I'm not sure. Like I have my Mac Mini connected to a display and I can connect to the Mac Mini without the display turning on or even detecting any activity. I don't need to even have a display connected and it will work headless as well. I don't think with the built in Mac Screen Share/ARD it will work since the screen is built in.

I say buy a used Mac Mini for cheap or try this software: MonitorControl
I think it might be able to turn off the physcial screen while you are connected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.