Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halloleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
I bought a shiny new Synology NASwith plenty of space. I also have quit a few old pysical external hard drives with bootable macOS system copies: I always make a copy of my system which I store away when I upgrade my macOS version. So I have Leopard, Lion, Mavericks and El Capitan drives...

Now I want to declutter, but still keep the data "just in case". So I though I create disk images on the NAS and copy the mirrored systems over (with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper). - And in case I really need them again I restore them back to a drive and can hopefully boot them up again. Here my two questions:

1. Is this a feasible and reliable approach? ( I know that the Carbon Copy Cloner floks strongley advise agisnt the use of images.)

2. What is the best type of disk image to use: sparse bundle, sparse image, or fixed disk image? I want as much reliability as possible and I'm not planning to write to the images after copying.

Many thanks for any pointers

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
On older mac OS systems High Sierra and older I never had a problem restoring from a Superduper sparse bundle. I have not had the need to try a restore on a newer mac system, and yes I have seen the warning with the newer systems.

Reactions: halloleo

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Well, with newer systems, what you could do if you were restoring is install a fresh copy of macOS and once installed, you mount the disk image (whichever format) and use Migration Assistant to move your data.

Reactions: halloleo and dimme

halloleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
On older mac OS systems High Sierra and older I never had a problem restoring from a Superduper sparse bundle. I have not had the need to try a restore on a newer mac system, and yes I have seen the warning with the newer systems.
Thanks @dimme. Good to know.

What do you think is most reliable image type: Sparse bundle, sparse image, or fixed disk image?

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: satcomer

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Sparse bundle has always worked the best for me, and from my research I found it's the best way to go.

Reactions: halloleo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.