Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hi.

I think this is my first thread on the Community subforu, which I believe is a place for those non-technological topics.

And I’m entering here to ask how my fellow MacRumors forum members freeze their meals/food.

This topic just came to my mind because, a few months after purchasing a new fridge with a no-frost freezer (which works using cold air), I’ve started to see some of my frozen meat stored in plastic bags (bags with air) become burn. Yes, when I say burn meat I mean it became whitish and dehydrated with small ice crystals in between.

So, now I’m dealing with some bags full of of frozen meat that are burn and ugly and even tho they remain tasty after cooking them, I feel like they losing properties… and I just don’t like the way they look.

So, I initially thought about getting some glass food storage containers, such as Tupperwares, with a lid with a valve that would allow me to suck the air from the inside of the recipient. However, with those, I’m afraid I would fill the space of the freezer way sooner, so I need something that allows me to save more space…

Then, wandering on Amazon, I spotted what I think it is the best solution to freeze raw AND cooked food: a vacuum machine for gofred-plastic bags. With one button it sucks all the air and seals the bag. No air, no more burn meat, with a much better preservation of foods.

Finally, I saw this short YouTube video, that teaches us how to seal food with minimum air inside a bag:

Honestly, I think a vacuum machine to store meals and raw food in vacuum bags is the best idea, and there are some really cheap vacuum-sealing machines. So, given that this is a tech forum, now I’m asking you: Do you own one of those machines? Do you think a $30 cheap one will do, or should I spend $100 on a good machine? About the gofred-plastic bags, do you recommend purchasing separate bags? Or just buy a roll, cut the length I’ll need, then seal the bottom, put the meals, and vacuum/seal it?

I’m open to ideas and experiences sealing and freezing food, especially with such machines.

Thank you.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Vacuum sealing is the best method, imo.

Do you own one of those machines?

I do own and regularly use a FoodSaver brand vacuum sealer. I got my vacuum sealer when I started sous vide method of cooking, maybe five years ago. I have used it literal thousands of times, so it definitely was worth it for me.

This is similar sealer system I have the one I have, not sure if it is the exact same model, but looks identical:

Do you think a $30 cheap one will do, or should I spend $100 on a good machine?
I never used a cheap one, but if you are not sure if you would use it, maybe start with a cheap one.

I got a really expensive one (I think $200+ at the time), but I knew I was going to use it based off of the amount of sous vide cooking I do. I used Ziplock bags prior, but an actual vacuum sealer end up being much better for me.

About the gofred-plastic bags, do you recommend purchasing separate bags? Or just buy a roll, cut the length I’ll need, then seal the bottom, put the meals, and vacuum/seal it?

I don't know what "gofred" is, and an internet search wasn't helpful at all. My spell checker wants to change it to "gore".

I buy the FoodSaver bags in long rolls, my machine cuts them to the length that I want. I wouldn't buy the individual bags if you plan on using it a lot. It is a lot cheaper to get the rolls.

I also use reusable bags for some things. There is a breakfast meat product called "Scrapple", I eat it daily. I think it is delicious, but some people find it gross, probably once they find out what it is made from, although the people that think it is gross probably never tasted it.

Scrapple:

Anyways, a package of scrapple lasts me about 8 days, and after opening it I used to store the uncooked portion in normal resealable bags (like Ziplock), but by the 7th or 8th portion, it would sometimes have an off taste and texture. This would happen even more so if, for whatever reason, I skipped a day of eating.

I started using my FoodSaver accessory attachment and FoodSaver reusable bags to keep the freshness of the scrapple over the week to week and a half period.

I also used the resealable bags for meat scraps and fat that I would save in the freezer for beef tallow or to make ground meat for hamburgers.

The FoodSaver reusable bags can be used multiple times, but depending on what was stored in them, cleaning them can be a pain.

Here are the ones I use:

Reactions: Huntn and Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
First of all, thank you for all the links. I’m not from the US but I’ll look it up on my country’s Amazon.

I don't know what "gofred" is, and an internet search wasn't helpful at all. My spell checker wants to change it to "gore".
This: 🧇 is a Gofre, at least in Spanish. I think it’s called Waffle in other languages.

1702882792974.png

When I said a “gofred-plastic” bag, I actually meant “waffled-plastic” bag, but maybe this doesn’t mean anything either for you. It basically refers to the shape/reinforcement on the plastic that makes the bags. I hope it’s clearer now.

Thank you for your thorough reply, I will look that up and will come back with any feedback or question I could have.

There is a breakfast meat product called "Scrapple", I eat it daily. I think it is delicious, but some people find it gross, probably once they find out what it is made from, although the people that think it is gross probably never tasted it

Regarding that “Scrapple” thing, as someone who enjoys every piece of pork, I think it must be pretty tasty, but at the same time, I must say it looks pretty unhealthy. But hey! I also eat some unhealthy meals from time to time.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
First of all, thank you for all the links. I’m not from the US but I’ll look it up on my country’s Amazon.

This: 🧇 is a Gofre, at least in Spanish. I think it’s called Waffle in other languages.

View attachment 2326262

When I said a “gofred-plastic” bag, I actually meant “waffled-plastic” bag, but maybe this doesn’t mean anything either for you. It basically refers to the shape/reinforcement on the plastic that makes the bags. I hope it’s clearer now.

Thank you for your thorough reply, I will look that up and will come back with any feedback or question I could have.

Regarding that “Scrapple” thing, as someone who enjoys every piece of pork, I think it must be pretty tasty, but at the same time, I must say it looks pretty unhealthy. But hey! I also eat some unhealthy meals from time to time.
Scrapple is similar to "chatarra." Just a different way to cook leftover or scraps of meats in the kitchen. It could be pork, beef, and so on. Certain US communities of European ancestry referred to such "scraps, or "leftovers" meals, as "scrapple." For example "scraps" of pork cooked with oatmeal, or even with cornmeal (for breakfast).

The "waffle" you posted above looks nice. But my wife makes waffles and pours a little of maple syrup over the top, and also places sliced strawberries, or just tops it with blueberries. While she also adds a small portion of whipped cream over the berries (she's slim) 🙂, I prefer a little jam (mermelada) over the waffles, plus berries on top, without maple syrup and whipped cream.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The "waffle" you posted above looks nice. But my wife makes waffles and pours a little of maple syrup over the top, and also places sliced strawberries, or just tops it with blueberries. While she also adds a small portion of whipped cream over the berries (she's slim) 🙂, I prefer a little jam (mermelada) over the waffles, plus berries on top, without maple syrup and whipped cream.
Yep, I’ve seen them with maple syrup, whipped cream or jam, but… As you probably already guessed, I love chocolate :p

Thanks for the interesting data!

Reactions: AlaskaMoose
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.