Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
I have an iPhone X coming Friday and when I ordered it I chose my son's line on my account which is available to upgrade -- my line was used for an 8+ on iPhone Upgrade Program. My plan is to pass my 8+ to my son as an early graduation gift and take the X myself, but wondering what the best approach would be? I'd ask Verizon but I actually think I'll get more trustworthy answers here o_O

My thought is to:
  1. Activate the X on my son's line.
  2. Log into My Verizon and use their device swap process.
But is there a better way? Just curious if I were to first pop my 8+'s SIM card into the X before activating it if it would activate to my line, then put the X's SIM card into my (restored-as-new) 8+ if that would activate it on his line?

Please comment on what might be the most reliable way to accomplish this. My fear is that using Verizon's device swap process I'd be billed for it, or if there are any restrictions I'm not aware of.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Simple. When the X arrives, do NOT turn on; remove the SIM first. Remove the SIM from your son's phone. Remove the SIM from your phone. Put him SIM in your phone. Put your SIM in the X.

Reactions: Cmd-Z

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
Well, that didn't work but I got through the process. Even though I put my SIM in the X before even firing it up, turns out that the X was locked to my son's number by Verizon so it was trying to active to his line.

So my original thought was what I had to do ... let the X activate to his line, then went through Verizon's online process of swapping phones, which included swapping SIMs. Mission accomplished, and the X is frickin' cool :cool:

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Well, that didn't work but I got through the process. Even though I put my SIM in the X before even firing it up, turns out that the X was locked to my son's number by Verizon so it was trying to active to his line.

So my original thought was what I had to do ... let the X activate to his line, then went through Verizon's online process of swapping phones, which included swapping SIMs. Mission accomplished, and the X is frickin' cool :cool:

Oops sorry about that. Glad you got it working though

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
I thought it was paid in full. If it were, then there'd be no problem. It's what I did. But still, all VZW phones should be unlocked from the start.
The X was paid in full, and was locked to Verizon according to Apple (who I bought it directly from).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.