Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vesper44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2018
I got my iPhone 8+ in November or October as part of the Apple Upgrade program. I pay around $45 a month for this (instead of buying the phone outright) which is supposed to be for 24 months. I really want to switch to a Pixel 2 XL ASAP. What's the best option for doing this? I know I can cancel my upgrade program and pay off the remaining months, but then do they give me the phone unlocked? Can I then resell the hardware to pay for my Pixel?

Is all of this crazy and should I just try to be patient for the next 2 years? (I hate this option)

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I got my iPhone 8+ in November or October as part of the Apple Upgrade program. I pay around $45 a month for this (instead of buying the phone outright) which is supposed to be for 24 months. I really want to switch to a Pixel 2 XL ASAP. What's the best option for doing this? I know I can cancel my upgrade program and pay off the remaining months, but then do they give me the phone unlocked? Can I then resell the hardware to pay for my Pixel?

Is all of this crazy and should I just try to be patient for the next 2 years? (I hate this option)

I assume you are on Verizon as they are the only carrier that sells the Pixel.. I am not a VZW customer but I assume they do it the same as the others and your options would be to pay off the existing balance and then sell the iPhone. Use the funds from the iPhone sale to offset what it cost to pay it off. You could then get a Pixel XL on Verizon payments.

Another option, not sure if VZW offers this but AT&T does, it to trade in the iPhone for the Pixel. Doing this you'd pay the iPhone off as well but since you are trading it in, you'd pay much less. That would then free you up to get the Pixel XL on payments.

Hope that made sense..

Best bet is call VZW or go into a store and see what they offer you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

vesper44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2018
I assume you are on Verizon as they are the only carrier that sells the Pixel.. I am not a VZW customer but I assume they do it the same as the others and your options would be to pay off the existing balance and then sell the iPhone. Use the funds from the iPhone sale to offset what it cost to pay it off. You could then get a Pixel XL on Verizon payments.

Another option, not sure if VZW offers this but AT&T does, it to trade in the iPhone for the Pixel. Doing this you'd pay the iPhone off as well but since you are trading it in, you'd pay much less. That would then free you up to get the Pixel XL on payments.

Hope that made sense..

Best bet is call VZW or go into a store and see what they offer you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks for your reply! I actually have AT&T, not Verizon. Sorry forgot to add that. So does that mean that AT&T can also cancel my iphone upgrade program or do you think I need to go to an Apple Store first?

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
If the upgrade program is through Apple then you'd need to cancel that through them as I do not believe AT&T has anything to do with that.

I've never used Apple's program so I honestly have no clue how they'd do it. I assume they will cancel it and charge you the remaining balance due on the phone but then you'd be free to sell it to recoup some or all of what it cost you to end the program.

For the Pixel, I know Google offers financing if you buy direct from them but I don't know who they use or what the credit approval process is. When I bought my Pixel from Google I paid full price for it.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I actually have AT&T

Will you have wifi calling with the Pixel 2 on AT&T? I've also considered getting the Pixel 2 (I'm on AT&T) but I've heard mixed reports about whether or not wifi calling works. Something about AT&T not allowing wifi calling on phones that you didn't buy through AT&T and thus aren't initially locked to them.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
There is no cancel. Pay off the loan and iPhone is yours.

You can buy unlocked Pixel directly from Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.