Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonBourne9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
As one of the original Jan 15th MBA orderers who is still sitting at "Not yet shipped" status, I have some time to think about my setup. I have figured iut which apps I'm installing and set them up on my remote disk ready to go...

Now, I'm trying to figure out what the best way to use my MBA as a portable, superlight extension of my mac pro. Ideally I'd like it to be constantly synced up for some of the things. This would include Mail.app, firefox bookmarks, certain parts of my itunes library (but not all of it as it is over 400GB with movies and TV shows), documents folder, various other odds and ends. Obviously, I can't sync everything since the Pro has 1.5TB of internal storage vs. 80GB on the MBA.

I'd like some input about what the best way to achieve this is. I already have .mac so I'm thinking that should cover some of my needs but I've never used it with two computers before. What does it do? How well does back to my mac work? Will I be able to access my movies and TV shows on the Pro when I'm in a hotel far from home? Are there better programs out there to do what I'm trying to do?

zapp

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Caribou,ME
How well does back to my mac work?
I was on vacation over thanksgiving and was able to see the screen of my mac mini from a 1000 miles away, and I was able to access shared files.

Will I be able to access my movies and TV shows on the Pro when I'm in a hotel far from home?
From my experience the video will not play without degradation in quality.

Are there better programs out there to do what I'm trying to do?

That I do not know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.