Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidb8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2013
I have a 1 hour 4K video that I recorded on Sunday that I need to get off my phone. To share it with some other people and possibly edit on my MacBook or pc. But I’m having great difficulty doing so. Is there any easy way of doing this? Apple have made it almost impossible. The file is apparently about 70GB according to windows. It took me ages to find it on file explorer. But it wouldn’t copy to my desktop. Windows photo app won’t even find my phone to import it. Mac photos app is so slow that even I do try to import it the app just crashes. iOS photos app upload progress bar doesn’t seem to have moved in 2 days. When I try and move it to iCloud file storage it gets to a couple of gb progress then goes back to zero. I have 200gb icloud.

any other suggestion? any other cloud storage account I have isn’t enough storage

Thanks.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Since I don't use Photos, Image Capture is my go-to tool to extract media, and basically serves only that one purpose.

It's surprising how few know of it and use it.

A 70GB file is a lot to swallow, and while a wired Lighting/USB 2 connection isn't that fastest thing in the world, it's still much faster than the 25 Mb/s (3MB/s) BT connection that AirDrop utilizes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minorite

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Since I don't use Photos, Image Capture is my go-to tool to extract media, and basically serves only that one purpose.

It's surprising how few know of it and use it.

A 70GB file is a lot to swallow, and while a wired Lighting/USB 2 connection isn't that fastest thing in the world, it's still much faster than the 25 Mb/s (3MB/s) BT connection that AirDrop utilizes.

Yep, totally agree using Image Capture.

For the OP here’s a short video:-

Reactions: CarboysDesire

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I have a 1 hour 4K video that I recorded on Sunday that I need to get off my phone. To share it with some other people and possibly edit on my MacBook or pc. But I’m having great difficulty doing so. Is there any easy way of doing this? Apple have made it almost impossible. The file is apparently about 70GB according to windows. It took me ages to find it on file explorer. But it wouldn’t copy to my desktop. Windows photo app won’t even find my phone to import it. Mac photos app is so slow that even I do try to import it the app just crashes. iOS photos app upload progress bar doesn’t seem to have moved in 2 days. When I try and move it to iCloud file storage it gets to a couple of gb progress then goes back to zero. I have 200gb icloud.

any other suggestion? any other cloud storage account I have isn’t enough storage

Thanks.
The longest I have recorded was about 40 minutes for a teleconference in my XS. Trying to export to Dropbox from the phone was a complete nightmare. Ended Airdroping to my MBP and exported from there.

davidb8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2013
managed to transfer it with iFunbox which I already had on my Mac. What a pain that was

Attachments

• 1780E152-540A-409B-A26C-DCC86696EDD5.jpeg
    1780E152-540A-409B-A26C-DCC86696EDD5.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 114

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Image Capture, or iMazing if it fails for any reason. Also, there was some bug with conversion during transfer, so make sure to have Settings > Photos > Keep originals at the bottom if you use Image Capture or exporting from DCIM on Win.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
managed to transfer it with iFunbox which I already had on my Mac. What a pain that was

I'm a bit surprised Image Capture choked.

Error 28 is due to insufficient free blocks on the target volume.

I'm curious as to how much free space you disk had. IC does some cacheing before importing, but it could also be a bug.

davidb8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2013

I'm curious as to how much free space you disk had. IC does some cacheing before importing, but it could also be a bug.

I only had about 100gb free. The file is about 75gb. Maybe you’re right in that the cacheing is killing it.

ifunbox had 0 issues though. The file STILL hasn’t uploaded to iCloud. iCloud Drive in the files app is also useless.

pretty disappointed overall with photo/video especially now with iOS 13 and it’s crappy photos app

Reactions: cdcastillo

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011

Thank you for this. This turns out to be the issue I was having with Image Capture, but the error message was NOT Error 28. I was trying to import into a drive image, which was out of storage space. I know this thread is old, but the number of times I've found solutions to things online via other people is uncountable, so I like to add useful info for other people's web searches.

It's utterly disgusting how many times "insufficient storage space" results in error messages that say absolutely nothing of the kind, still, to this day.

EDIT: My error was "com.apple.ImageCaptureCore error -9937"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.