Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PliSsK

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
UK
I have recently moved my iTunes Media folder to an external hard drive because of space constraints on my main internal SSD where my OS X is. This external drive will sit permanently on my desk by my iMac. I want to back up both to a second external drive (back up drive) rather than just backing up the main internal drive. It is less critical that I back up the iTunes library every day but it wouldn't hurt. What is the best way to do this? Should I use TM to simultaneously back up both drives to the same TM back up on the back up drive? Or is it safer to back up the SSD and external iTunes drive separately to different partitions on the back up drive? The former sounds simplest but I am concerned about restoring data in the event of loss of both my iMac and the external drive (iTunes), given that they are at the same location (i.e. theft or fire). In the latter scenario, would I need 2 new physical drives in order to restore the OS (files on the internal drive)? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.