Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I have an old iMac with a Core 2 Duo from 2006. It's running Snow Leopard, but I'll be upgrading it to Lion tonight. Now since Firefox 49 recently dropped support for 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, what is the current best browser for lion? I suppose Firefox 48 will work for quite a while, maybe a year, but after that I'll need a better solution. Any ideas? Thanks.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Updated my 24" late 2006 iMac to Mountain Lion, which happens to be in the same situation with browser support. This prompted me to start a similar thread in the Mountain Lion area, which received a single reply. Unfortunately, it looks like the '06 iMac users' only options are to update to an unsupported MacOS without GPU acceleration, install Linux (which I have done, too many problems for my liking!), or stay running unsupported browsers (edit: oh yes, there's the Windows option as well, but I really don't want to go there). My only hope is that will change in the future with something like Leopard Webkit for newer Intel MacOS versions.
[doublepost=1480640391][/doublepost]But to answer your question, I prefer the last supported versions of Opera and Chrome, which I have gotten working fine by disabling hardware acceleration. Opera seems to be strangely limited with HTML5/YouTube playback, but I've been using PPC Media Center which works on Intel Macs as well.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Updated my 24" late 2006 iMac to Mountain Lion, which happens to be in the same situation with browser support. This prompted me to start a similar thread in the Mountain Lion area, which received a single reply. Unfortunately, it looks like the '06 iMac users' only options are to update to an unsupported MacOS without GPU acceleration, install Linux (which I have done, too many problems for my liking!), or stay running unsupported browsers (edit: oh yes, there's the Windows option as well, but I really don't want to go there). My only hope is that will change in the future with something like Leopard Webkit for newer Intel MacOS versions.
A little off-topic, but I've got a question for you: Does Mountain Lion run faster than Lion? I've heard that it does. If so, I'll upgrade. Then I get iMessage, Notes and Reminders, Notification Center and some other great features.

For now, the old Safari is fine for me. Browsers are usually OK to use a few years after they came out, so I think I'll be good for a while.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
A little off-topic, but I've got a question for you: Does Mountain Lion run faster than Lion? I've heard that it does. If so, I'll upgrade. Then I get iMessage, Notes and Reminders, Notification Center and some other great features.
I noticed a little speed improvement, yes, and would recommend the update to Mountain Lion. The only serious downside I've noticed (this may be limited to just iMac6,1) is that my iMac doesn't seem to be able to enter sleep mode on 10.8.5. Display turns off, but Mac stays on.
For now, the old Safari is fine for me. Browsers are usually OK to use a few years after they came out, so I think I'll be good for a while.
I've tried the old Safari, and there's already some things that are broken. Especially YouTube features. But for light browsing, I'm sure it'd work fine.

Astralography

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2017
Bay Area
Not having any issues with Firefox 48. I am still able to use Firefox 3 for most websites on another computer that I still run 10.4.11

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
You can slightly modify Firefox 56 to work on lion, as shown here. I've been using it and it's stable as long as you disable the options shown in the thread.

SecretSquirrel

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
U.K.
I have an old iMac with a Core 2 Duo from 2006. It's running Snow Leopard, but I'll be upgrading it to Lion tonight. Now since Firefox 49 recently dropped support for 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, what is the current best browser for lion? I suppose Firefox 48 will work for quite a while, maybe a year, but after that I'll need a better solution. Any ideas? Thanks.
Roccat is still being developed for 10.5 and later. It works pretty well and their tech support respond to questions / comments.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I just built GNU IceCat for 10.7 and above as well. I suggest disabling all the default extensions other than https everywhere and spyblock to keep it speedy.

Download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JnMTKTMgwEkboLBnVXcu8A5l1ocUKw8d/view?usp=sharing

10.7-IceCat.png

Cheers

Reactions: rodlie

tiktok4321

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2018
Any of these good for secure data entry (ie: remote time cards, payments, etc)? Wondering if I should even invest in my 20" Plastic Late 2006 first gen Intel iMac. :(

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
Waterfox crashes every time for me (Lion 10.7.5). Not a good choice i'd say
There was a period of time for awhile when the author made an update that b0rked it for Lion sadly. When that happened, I just went back to the previous version until the issue was addressed. I haven't used it recently (sold my last Lion machine a couple weeks past), but last I used it, everything was back to normal on the latest version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.