Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Trying to replaced my 10 years old ASUS wifi router. In search for the best router that work best with the Apple System. I wonder if there is such a thing? I understand any wifi router can work with Apple products.

Also, if my living space is not too big. Is a single wifi router better than a mesh wifi?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
How big an area are you trying to cover with WiFi? That will determine whether you need a mesh system.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I understand any wifi router can work with Apple products.
Yes. Networking is universal.
if my living space is not too big. Is a single wifi router better than a mesh wifi?
Almost certainly. And you'll save money by only purchasing one device, instead of several.

Other than that, there is no 'best'. People do have favorites for a variety of reasons. I prefer the Amplifi Alien router. It's powerful, secure, and easily managed from an app, both locally and remotely. It's pricey though.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
If you're running a single router now and not seeing any range issues, you'd likely be fine doing the same again. Wifi 6 should have increased range a bit. Obviously, out in the real world, YMMV. I'd consider mesh if you currently have some dead spots. I wouldn't count on a new single router fixing that.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
If you're running a single router now and not seeing any range issues, you'd likely be fine doing the same again. Wifi 6 should have increased range a bit. Obviously, out in the real world, YMMV. I'd consider mesh if you currently have some dead spots. I wouldn't count on a new single router fixing that.

I am currently having a 10 year old ASUS AC1900. Since upgrading to Mac OS Sonoma and iOS 17, the wifi speed becomes slow and unreliable. But it works just fine on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra.

I realized that it is a 10 year old router and is about time for an upgrade. I wanted to get something that is also future proof.

Knowing that my ASUS still works with Samsung tablet but not with my Apple devices, I wonder if there are wifi router out there more compatible with Apple? Especially stability.

I got an Eero Pro 6E to try and its seems to be working wonderfully, very stable and consistent speed, app is very easy to use. But I am wondering if Eero is a good choice for the next 5-8 years?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I got an Eero Pro 6E to try and its seems to be working wonderfully, very stable and consistent speed, app is very easy to use."

"If the shoe fits, wear it..."

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
"I got an Eero Pro 6E to try and its seems to be working wonderfully, very stable and consistent speed, app is very easy to use."

"If the shoe fits, wear it..."
Any thoughts on the Eero pro 6 router instead of the 6E??? I probably don't have but 1 item that could utilize 6E. Thanks Kenny

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Any thoughts on the Eero pro 6 router instead of the 6E??? I probably don't have but 1 item that could utilize 6E. Thanks
How fast is your internet connection? Unless you have Gig+ service, internet service isn't fast enough to make the added expense of "future proofing" w/ WiFi 6/6E router worth the extra money. WiFi 5 routers are cheaper and do just fine. Let the flaming begin.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
Any thoughts on the Eero pro 6 router instead of the 6E??? I probably don't have but 1 item that could utilize 6E. Thanks Kenny

Some use the 6ghz band for wireless backhaul, though I don't really understand how that would work if you've got the nodes far enough apart to create an effective mesh. In the future if you add anything else that's 6e, you could get close to wired speeds if you're close enough to the router. You probably don't need that, but if you're paying for gig speeds, it's kinda neat to see it come through wifi.

I noticed a pretty big jump in speed and a small bump in usable range going from 5 to 6 (I only have one device that's 6e), but it might just be because my 5 mesh system was poor.

Reactions: kenny1wk

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
same boat. Velop system is 5 years old and I'm only pulling 60 down on gig service. wired speeds hit 850-980 regularly. past 1-2 months, wireless is horrible. I have Velop 2 tower system. way too many choices

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.