Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galtin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
Idaho
Hello:

I have a MacBook Pro Late 2011 13”.

Bottom line: Can someone tell me which is the most absolute best and supported Windows version? Also, which is the best Virtual Machine to use.

I primarily use the computer to log into my office computer, I use Windows in order to use Internet Explorer, I use Office Excel and Word a lot, and Google and occasionally, other Internet use. That’s about the extent of my use on the computer - I use my iPhone 10x more. What this last paragraph has to do with my questions, i’m not sure, maybe it will help with using the right versions?

Thank you in advance.

Wen

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
The best Windows is no Windows......

What you use your computer for - Mac can easily do. Safari is better than Internet Exploder, and Office for Mac works just fine

Parallels or VMWare are both good. Windows 10 is "better than Windows 7 given the cumulative updates.

MichaelDT

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
The best Windows is no Windows......

What you use your computer for - Mac can easily do. Safari is better than Internet Exploder, and Office for Mac works just fine

Parallels or VMWare are both good. Windows 10 is "better than Windows 7 given the cumulative updates.
I would guess the op isn’t using I.E. by choice many older private and government systems designed in the early 00s and 90s only work with I.E. due to poor design choices.

Galtin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
Idaho
I would guess the op isn’t using I.E. by choice many older private and government systems designed in the early 00s and 90s only work with I.E. due to poor design choices.
[doublepost=1519523794][/doublepost]Correct, Michael.

It has nothing to do with which browser is better, I have no choice but to use I.E.. the software my company uses (third party). It runs, currently, on I.E.

It’s great to say that I don’t need Windows but the truth of the matter is, I do. If you are not willing to suggest the best Windows version (which I asked, not if I should use Windows) then kindly not suggest anything differently, unless what I asked that something else can take its place 100%.
[doublepost=1519524025][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1519523794][/doublepost]
Correct, Michael.

It has nothing to do with which browser is better, I have no choice but to use I.E.. the software my company uses (third party). It runs, currently, on I.E.

It’s great to say that I don’t need Windows but the truth of the matter is, I do. If you are not willing to suggest the best Windows version (which I asked, not if I should use Windows) then kindly not suggest anything differently, unless what I asked that something else can take its place 100%.

Again, if you read my original post, I told you what version of MacBook Pro I use and it is not supported by Apple so don’t suggest something that obviously will not work properly. If you don’t know what you are talking about then I suggest to remain silent so you don’t look the fool.

Geeky Chimp

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
IMO look at a VM running Windows 7 - its much lighter on resources than W10 and will run faster as a VM especially on a 2011 MBP. If its only light usage try VirtualBox its free and works fine for browsing and Office.

Galtin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
Idaho
IMO look at a VM running Windows 7 - its much lighter on resources than W10 and will run faster as a VM especially on a 2011 MBP. If its only light usage try VirtualBox its free and works fine for browsing and Office.
Thank you, Geeky Chimp!

I appreciate the tips.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Thank you, Geeky Chimp!

I appreciate the tips.
Keep in mind that Windows 7 is in extended support. It will only receive security updates through January 14, 2020. If you need a longer term version, I would suggest Windows 10. I don't find it to be all that heavy, but it's free to test (only time is required).

Galtin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
Idaho
Keep in mind that Windows 7 is in extended support. It will only receive security updates through January 14, 2020. If you need a longer term version, I would suggest Windows 10. I don't find it to be all that heavy, but it's free to test (only time is required).
Thank you.

Do you know if Windows 10 is compatible with the MacBook Pro Late 2011 13”?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Thank you.

Do you know if Windows 10 is compatible with the MacBook Pro Late 2011 13”?
The guest operating system only has to be compliant with the virtualization hypervisor (i.e. VMware Fusion, Parallels, or VirtualBox). I would suggest reading the system requirements of each hypervisor and seeing if it will run on your system.

For example, Parallels 13's system requirements are here: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124223

They list the following as supported hardware and software:

Hardware:
  • A Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, Intel Core M or Xeon processor
  • 4 GB of memory (8 GB recommended)
  • 850 MB of disk space on the boot volume (Macintosh HD) for Parallels Desktop installation
  • Additional disk space for virtual machines (varies by operating system installed)
  • SSD drive is recommended for better performance
  • Internet connection for product activation and select features
Software:
  • macOS High Sierra 12.13 or later
  • macOS Sierra 10.12.5 or later
  • OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 or later
  • OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 or later
It also lists Windows 10 as a supported guest operating system, among many others.

Galtin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
Idaho
The guest operating system only has to be compliant with the virtualization hypervisor (i.e. VMware Fusion, Parallels, or VirtualBox). I would suggest reading the system requirements of each hypervisor and seeing if it will run on your system.

For example, Parallels 13's system requirements are here: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124223

They list the following as supported hardware and software:

It also lists Windows 10 as a supported guest operating system, among many others.
Fantastic!

Thank you all, for your knowledge and guidance.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
All 3 of the latest versions of the major solutions: VMware Fusion, Parallels and VirtualBox will support Windows 10 (along with a host of other OSes like Linux)
Of course you will need your own licensed copy of Windows 10 for installation on the VM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.