Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcormann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Hello all....this is my first post this to this forum as I am a new Mac user. Great site...

Anyway, I recently purchased a 12"Powerbook...which rocks by the way....Can anyone recommend a great wireless router? I was going to invest in the Airport Extreme for the compatibility however the reviews I have read say this isn't the best router out there for the $$$$.

Any suggestions?

-Dave

player9

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
The best routers from what I've read seem to be from Netgear and Linksys.

I have the WGT624 revision 2, and it works pretty well with my Powerbook. Netgear also upgrades the firmware, but not as much as Linksys. The 624 has some extra features over the cheaper Netgear routers and so that is why I went with it. It is a little tricky to setup all the security features, but after a couple of tries you should be able to figure it out.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
How about the airport express

How about the airport express it's much cheaper then the extreme and can do almost anything the extreme can and more. The only disadvantage with the express over the extreme is that it can only have ten computer on its network at any given time were as the extreme can handle 50. Linsys makes some pretty good stuff too and they are less expensive but the express just has os many useful features. Plus it sense it so small you can take it with you on trips and make networks wherever you go, I do this all the time its great. :)

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
I have a linksys Wireless Access point on my network that I have had for a few months. I just purchased a Airport Express for printing and it was a pain to get working with the Linksys.

I tried to get CompUSA to let me exchange the Linksys AP for the Airport, but they wouldn't. In my opinion I would have perfered to pay the extra $$ for the Airport then waste a day trying to get the Airport Express to work with the Linksys AP.

If you do go Linksys I would get the WRT54G because you can get 3rd part firmware for it that is much better then what Linksys has.

Doug

JonoColesUK

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2005
London UK
Hy there

I'm actually looking for a wireless router as well

I only want one that enables wireless internet connection so that I dont have to fork out to move my phone line.

Any advice??

Cheers

Jono

:D

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
Why would it cost you any large amount of money to move your phone line? You could just go to the local electronics store and get some phone wire and move it yourself.

The Airport Extreme has a modem in it if you don't want to move the phone line and you are limited to dialup.

Doug

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I've had some problems with my Linksys router. It works about 98% of the time. But that 1% really gets to you... its just stops working sometimes for no good reason. Its the only router I've used, so maybe its a problem with routers accross the board.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Happens to me as well. Sometimes my airport internet cuts out completely for no apparent reason with my linksys wireless router. WRTG54 I believe is the model.

Cfly

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2004
i use a microsoft wireless g router

does the trick

was really cheap

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
I just picked up a D-Link DI-524 802.11g router at Best Buy two days ago. Perhaps not the most feature-rich router out there, but there were 40 dollars in rebates, bringing the price to $20. At that price I figured I could make a foray into wireless networking in my house. So far it seems to be working well. It was very simple to set up, and it seems to provide reasonably good coverage. No problems yet!

Aaron

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Cfly said:
i use a microsoft wireless g router

does the trick

was really cheap
I endorse this router, as well... I have an MN-700 wireless router and 2 MN-100 wired routers (connected to the MN-700), and they're very solid. Plus, you can get the MN-700 from Overstock.com for only $39.95.

The only caveat I know of is that you MIGHT need a Windows box in order to run the configuration software... I have my Mac mini connected through my MN-700, but I handle all of the router configuration on one of my Windows PCs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.