Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
My Mom is in the hospital and recently had a stroke. What is the best word games, etc for her please?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm sorry to hear your mom had a stroke. That can be pretty scary for her and for you and the family. Will she be going to rehab too? The rehab therapists can make some recommendations based on your mom's condition, i.e., did the stroke affect her speech, motor skills, memory, or a combination.

Some stroke rehab departments/centers actually use iPads and have special software to help with the recovery. I read about a couple today and it looks pretty interesting. Playing card games like Uno I've read can also be helpful, or even chess, but it all depends on her status at the time.

Were there games she enjoyed on an iPad or non-tablet games before she had her stroke? Something that's familiar to her might be a good start.

Also take a look at stroke.org to see if there's recommendations there that might help.

Hang in there and I hope she recovers soon so she can come home.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2 and Weaselboy

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
After my mom's stroke back in the mid '80s they had her doing word search puzzles to help her learn to recognize words again.

I have a couple of games like that on my iPad - Word Stacks and Wordscapes.
Sorry to hear about your mum, how that hey recovery goes well.

Have a look at Word Games, developer Mahjong.

It has about five different types of word search games so that to don't get boted just doing the same word search every day. To can select the level to want to play and as you solve puzzles so to get rewards that you can use for hints. If yo run out of free good then to can purchase some gold

It is not too difficult and having the variety of Gabe's makes it much more interesting.

Good luck for mum.

Reactions: max2 and Weaselboy

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Sorry to hear about your mum, how that hey recovery goes well.

Have a look at Word Games, developer Mahjong.

It has about five different types of word search games so that to don't get boted just doing the same word search every day. To can select the level to want to play and as you solve puzzles so to get rewards that you can use for hints. If yo run out of free good then to can purchase some gold

It is not too difficult and having the variety of Gabe's makes it much more interesting.

Good luck for mum.

Attachments

• 1633969933322.png
    1633969933322.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
The game: Word Games, developer Mahjong

Do you have to buy the in app purchases ? What is it exactly for please ?

Would prefer a one time price game. If possible. Sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.