Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Just got myself an iPad and noticed that the advanced search filter option is missing on the YouTube mobile web app.

Therefore you cannot search videos by date. This option is available on the iPhone but not iPad ???

I have tried the Cydia app ProTube and the filter option is missing as well.

You can go to the full desktop YouTube version via http://www.youtube.com/?nomobile=1 via Safari but none of the videos play even when enrolled on HTML5.

Same problem with Chrome for IOS.

Can anyone recommend any better Apple Store apps or Cydia tweaks with advanced search capabilities.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Just got myself an iPad and noticed that the advanced search filter option is missing on the YouTube mobile web app.

Therefore you cannot search videos by date. This option is available on the iPhone but not iPad ???

I have tried the Cydia app ProTube and the filter option is missing as well.

You can go to the full desktop YouTube version via http://www.youtube.com/?nomobile=1 via Safari but none of the videos play even when enrolled on HTML5.

Same problem with Chrome for IOS.

Can anyone recommend any better Apple Store apps or Cydia tweaks with advanced search capabilities.

Many thanks.

It has it on my Protube.

http://imgur.com/HIkV5

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Many thanks for the reply but those are not the advanced full search filters. I was talking about the "Sort by upload date" setting as on the iPhone:

Attachments

• UTUBE.PNG
    UTUBE.PNG
    93.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

hamsup1o

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
Many thanks for the reply but those are not the advanced full search filters. I was talking about the "Sort by upload date" setting as on the iPhone:

Just go to youtube.com in Safari on your iPad and it will redirect you to the proper mobile site. There you will be able to have those same filter options.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Just go to youtube.com in Safari on your iPad and it will redirect you to the proper mobile site. There you will be able to have those same filter options.

and then add that to page to your homescreen [there's that "Add to homescreen" button in Safari] so it replaces the youtube app

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
The filter button to the left of the search bar does not appear. Only have "Result type" and "Uploaded" to choose from. There is no "Sort" option.

Do you both have iPads? Try it - its not present.

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
hamsup1o - Many thanks for posting a screenshot. I have an iPad 2 running 5.1.1. and see how I get different options to you:

I think I'm going to clear the cache /cookies etc and reboot.

EDIT: Clearing the cache, closing the app and rebooting did not fix the issue. What version of IOS are you running?

Attachments

• ipad.PNG
    ipad.PNG
    722.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Just for the hell of it I just wiped and restored it as a new device. Therefore not jailbroken /clean install and I still have the missing search filter :(

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I haven't on my iPad 3 as well

Here is what I did
1. Go to YouTube in safari
2. Search for something and press enter
3. Next to the search bar, you will see a box with a down arrow, click on that.

Now I assume you don't have the down arrow box thingy, so my next solution would be to just scroll down and click 'desktop' on the bottom right. You'll just be browsing the desktop version of YouTube...

Notes: I am using safari, on my iPad 3, running iOS 5.1.1 and I don't have any YouTube jail broken tweaks installed

Also, I tried it in chrome too, and it worked too ( but thats because chrome is jut a skin, but FWIW>)

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Now I assume you don't have the down arrow box thingy, so my next solution would be to just scroll down and click 'desktop' on the bottom right. You'll just be browsing the desktop version of YouTube...

The problem with the desktop version is nothing plays. All you get is "This video is currently unavailable".

hamsup1o

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
Did you happen to install User Agent Faker or something similar prior to restoring the iPad? Also did you restore from backup after you wiped your iPad? You may have set it to another browser and when you restored from backup, those settings were restored. Just taking a wild guess and throwing idea out there. :)

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Did you happen to install User Agent Faker or something similar prior to restoring the iPad? Also did you restore from backup after you wiped your iPad? You may have set it to another browser and when you restored from backup, those settings were restored. Just taking a wild guess and throwing idea out there. :)

I did install User Agent Faker to try and trick the browser into thinking my iPad is an iPhone but it did not help. Also I did a clean restore (not from backup) and none of my settings got carried over. Very good idea though.

I think I just need someone with an iPad 2 running 5.1.1 to test or I need to walk into an Apple store and test on their demo iPads.

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
** Resolved **

I found out the solution :)

Go to Settings > General > International and make sure it is set to English.

As I am British, mine was naturally set to British English which causes this issue.

Setting the language to English remedies the problem.

If you set yours to British English then you will see the issue.

Many thanks for your help.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I found out the solution :)

Go to Settings > General > International and make sure it is set to English.

As I am British, mine was naturally set to British English which causes this issue.

Setting the language to English remedies the problem.

If you set yours to British English then you will see the issue.

Many thanks for your help.

Lol how'd you come up something as random as that ;)

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
I just thought, other than hardware what would be different between my setup and a working setup? Regional Settings came to mind and geographic location :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.