Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mookamoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I've had a long running argument with a PC owning friend who calls Mac 'Betamax'. Thought it was quite funny but harmless until my 6 week old MacPro had a total S.M.A.R.T hard disk failure and now a look a tad foolish.

Very poor.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Macs are teh suxx0r, teh hdz dun even last 6 WEEKZ!!!111 LAWL!!11~!! MS FTW! :rolleyes:

Your hard drive has little to do with Apple, yet they'll still likely cover the cost of repairing it.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Why do people blame Apple for Toshiba's (and other HD manufacturer) failures?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Had A Brand New Seagate Fail Like That

It's no biggie. Hard drives fail all the time. Just call AppleCare and they will replace it no problem. All I have to do is call Seagate and they will send me a new one. Seagate HDs have a 5 year replacement warranty. :)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I find this funny how the hard drives are no different the PCs and people blame it on apple.:D

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
It varies quite a bit; I've seen the same model machine using different model hard drives.

Well from what i have heard the 250gb is either a WD or the 7200.10 the 7200.10 is the more recent models i think.....But its true that it could be either of those two for the 250gb. The 160gb drive is always a 7200.10 or 7200.9 can't remember which.

Mookamoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I find this funny how the hard drives are no different the PCs and people blame it on apple.:D

I didn't blame it on Apple although that is taking some doing taking into account the exact same thing happen with my mothers iMac 6 months ago.

As for talking to the turnips at AppleCrap I'll save the 40 quid cost a new hard drive by not calling them. The hassle I had getting the iMac sorted was ridiculous. Before they wanted to swap the HD out they got me to re-install the OS and then blamed it on Adobe and wanted me to call their help desk.

Macs are good, but the day I blindly defend them against the PC posse has now gone for good.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
It's like religion. Some swear to WD, some to Seagate. I swear to WD and has yet to experience any disk failures...

Agreed.

Of course, unlike religion, you can test this assertion, and not base your opinion on non-empirical anecdote.

For what it's worth, I've never had issues with Maxtor drives.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
It's like religion. Some swear to WD, some to Seagate. I swear to WD and has yet to experience any disk failures...
Every PC I've ever custom built (which was many), I used a Western Digital drive and never had a single HD issue with any of them. This isn't to say that WD are perfect, or even that they are better than their competitors.

I personally believe they are all about the same in terms of reliability, but that's just my opinion.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I've had a long running argument with a PC owning friend who calls Mac 'Betamax'. Thought it was quite funny but harmless until my 6 week old MacPro had a total S.M.A.R.T hard disk failure and now a look a tad foolish.

Very poor.

Apple uses ***** hard drives sometimes.

I remember the PowerMac G5 came with Maxtors

*barf*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.