Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beefstu01

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
CA
Well, it's 7:00 PM here, and after my third beer (I had a barbecue for dinner, so Carlsberg is called for), I believe I am set to call when the next revision is coming.

And it will be tomorrow.

Yes, now there's one little thing that made me to say this. I've been frequenting the Apple store a lot lately. A whole friggin lot, actually, and right now I just noticed a difference. It used to be setup like this-

[Shameless ad]

[eMac/iMac][PowerMac/Display]
[iBook][PowerBook]

Now it's-

[Shameless ad]

[iBook][PowerBook]
[eMac/iMac][PowerMac/Display]

For those of you who are nearing the buzzed state like I am, that shows the portables are placed above the desktop machines. Apple might want to do a quick redesign of the store, so they quietly switched the photos right now, and tomorrow the beasts will be unleashed. It's a small change, and probably won't be picked up by a lot of people, but hey, discuss it to your hearts content. It makes sense to me at least...

So, when do you guys think we'll see stuff?

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
i will hold Thinkseceret to their claim, and agree that they will be out by the end of the week. At least that is what I am hoping. I have a 15" on order currently; according to apple, it is set to be assembled between the 21st and the 25th. When I talked to the sales guy, he said that if there is an update announced before then, I will automatically be shipped the new revision, unless it is a mojor change (I think this might qualify ;) ), at which point they will contact me; usually because there would be a price change. As you can imagine, I hope that they are announced before my shipment, so I can be one of the first to receive a shiny new "This-One-Fits-Just-Right" AlBook.

Cheap-Chopstix

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
in a tree
*puts 2 pennies , a bottle cap and some string on the table*

Well thats all I have to bet. Really I don't care when they update them, just that they update them before Christmas.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Since everybody is expecting the 7457 to be in the new machines...

I'll go with the 7455 r3.4

---

My bet is Motorola will dissapoint everybody once again.

[edit - forgot, I'm betting one of the imaginary buzzards feasting on the corpses of Motorola's delivery dates.] ;)

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
Although the last thing I want to see is an update just over a month after buying a TiBook, I think updates will come this week, or next Tuesday at the latest. Far too many coincidences (PBs running low at stores, Motorola's own information, lots of rumors sites) to rule out an impending update.

I say 15.4" Alubook with 1.25 or 1.3 Ghz 7457
DDR Ram
AP Extreme
New video card
Faster FSB

ben_whly

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2003
I think they'll be out for sure by the end of next week (i.e. the end of August). 12" PB are currently 7-10 days with 15" PB 5-7 and 17" PB same day. I know it has to be coming. Apple would be stupid to wait till their September expo. They need to release them all at the same time for those hanging on for college/school.

mim

macrumors 6502
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Since everybody is expecting the 7457 to be in the new machines...

I'll go with the 7455 r3.4

---

My bet is Motorola will dissapoint everybody once again.

[edit - forgot, I'm betting one of the imaginary buzzards feasting on the corpses of Motorola's delivery dates.] ;)

After your "joking" yesterday I checked out the motorola site - and yes there is a new MPC7455 part due for release and no mention of the 7457.

I'm inclined to agree.

Let the fragging begin.

GrizzlyHippo

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
on the sofa
All bets are off regarding the 15" PB this year.

If it's a 7455 I will personally lead the rampage on Moto HQ. Bugsy claims the most scalps.

I know this is a little far fetched, but the longer we wait, the more likely a G5 PB is...

Tired of waiting,

Grizzly

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
I'm betting next month. September 30. Why you ask? Because it's the last possible Tuesday in next month.

Not really using the scientific method or anything, just trying to think like Apple...

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by mim
After your "joking" yesterday I checked out the motorola site - and yes there is a new MPC7455 part due for release and no mention of the 7457.

I'm inclined to agree.

Also note the other thread on updates to the iMac - the specs shown are clearly those of a 7455.

Does that mean that PBs may have to wait another 10 months for the 7457 and then another 10 months beyond that for the G5?

Apple is putting meaning into the phrase "glacial update cycle".

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Well it looks as if you are wrong unless they upgrade the powerbooks later on today.

Knowing what steve is like, Ti -> al 15" powerbook is like a new product. He may wait until a keynote, I.E september 16th or in January. (Going on the G2 -> G3 iPods)

I think the 12" and 17" powerbooks will be upgraded quickly and quietly just like the ibooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.