Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inimeg81

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
I had an 11 IPP and replaced it with a 14 MBP. Soon after I realized I missed my in bed device as having to pull the laptop out all the time wasn’t ideal. So I bought another IPP 11. Then the mini came out!

I have a 13 pro max as well. I’m struggling with this dilemma - the iPad mini 6 has a perfect size but some of the draw backs are annoying. Other times, I wonder as I use it if I should just be using my phone and sometimes I even do. The 11 on the other hand I wonder if I’m going to use that for watching a movie I might as well pull out the XDR display.

I do want a iPad companion to my MBP 14- just struggling with which is going to have the least overlap between my phone and my laptop. If I had a regular pro 13 it would be the mini handily- but the mini feels like a folded out iPhone which is great, but 700 dollars great? Mmm

I also consider the IPP 11 is likely getting a mini led display next year so this current M1 will lose some resale and be less desirable while the iPad mini 6 I can pass down to my daughter when she gets a little older

Thoughts?

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
My thoughts are: get the 12.9 IPP now. Then, when the 11 IPP becomes with a mini LED display, sell the 12.9 and get the 11 if you wanted a smaller screen. The mini is not even in the same league, forget it.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You seem to be drawn to the mini form factor. I’ll give my usual advice: order one, try it out and return it if you don’t like it enough.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You seem to be drawn to the mini form factor. I’ll give my usual advice: order one, try it out and return it if you don’t like it enough.

Yep. That’s what Apple’s return policy is for—a guarantee for customer satisfaction.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I have very similar devices: 14" MBP, 11" IPP, Mini 6, and 11 Pro Max.
The one I use the least is the Mini 6.

Are both 11" IPP and Mini 6 returnable?
If so, another option is just get a regular iPad ($329) as a stopgap - don't need anything more for bed, and better size to hand down to daughter.

Reactions: JDnLex

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
For your needs, the base iPad, Air or mini will fill the gap between your MBP and your iPhone.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I find the iPad mini and 14" MBP to be an incredible combination. I may add the 11" iPad Pro to that mix once it gets mini-LED, but that's mostly out of desire rather than necessity. I could definitely get by with just the devices I have now. I *love* the mini form-factor.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Personally, I love the 12.9 IPP. I love the screen size for reading and for watching movies or tv series. It’s small enough that I can watch/read while lying on the couch, in bed, or in an armchair. The screen is gorgeous. Also—I often read in the dark, and with reverse white type on a black background, and I have not observed any so-called blooming artifacts. I’m naturally near-sighted, so believe me, I would notice! LOL.

I have an 11” IPP, and have had several in that size as well as the 9.7” previously. The 12.9” is so much nicer to use on a daily basis—at least for me! Yes, it is heavier than the 11”, but so much more screen real-estate. Not to mention, I keep it in a case so that I don’t actually hold it while reading, for the most part. And I did the same with my 11” IPP. So no real difference there in my comfort or ease of use.

Given that you do have a 14” MBP, perhaps you would be happier with a smaller companion device. There are definitely trade offs, though. The mini-LED screen on the 12.9 is noticeably richer and has true-blacks (or 99% so!). Really nice viewing/reading/watching experience. The 11” is more portable, though if you are mainly using the device at home, that’s probably less important. The mini is the most portable and lightest, but reportedly has the poorest screen experience of the three devices. Though, whether that is something which would bother you or not is something you’d need to determine.

After reading the horrendous ‘reports’ of so-called ’blooming’ with the mini-LED screen of the 12.9 IPP, I was wary when I decided to make the buy. So glad that I did. The internet scaremongering was really overblown. So, it may also be that the Mini’s ‘jelly-screen’ ordeal is also so much hot garbage made by people aiming for maximum clicks and outrage. You’ll need to make your own estimate.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
I have the MBP 14, 12.9 M1 iPad Pro, iPad mini 6, and iPhone 13 Pro Max. I am able to find a use for all of these devices. OP, you mentioned in bed use as being something you miss with the iPad Pro 11. I am able to do this with the iPad mini 6. M1 iPad Pro is more for in the living room along with my MBP 14. iPhone is for on the go and anything phone related.

Reactions: andrewcole836

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I hardly use my mini 6. I find my iPad Pro 11” more enjoyable thanks to the larger screen.

The 11” IPP compliments my 13” MBA nicely.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have the MBP 14, 12.9 M1 iPad Pro, iPad mini 6, and iPhone 13 Pro Max. I am able to find a use for all of these devices. OP, you mentioned in bed use as being something you miss with the iPad Pro 11. I am able to do this with the iPad mini 6. M1 iPad Pro is more for in the living room along with my MBP 14. iPhone is for on the go and anything phone related.

Personally, 10-11” is my preferred size for all those scenarios (bed, couch and on the go). I think I just use my iPhone as either flashlight or camera.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I just picked up a ipad mini 6 and i have a 11" ipad and i would say the 11" is a better sidecar companion due to the larger screen size, but i am liking the smaller form factor of the mini for anything outside of sidecar (i also don't have very large hands)

Reactions: andrewcole836

andrewcole836

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
Las Vegas
I switched to the iPhone 13 mini this go round. So my lineup is iPhone 13 mini, iPad mini 6 and M1 13". I got a dock that has DisplayLink for when I need something bigger. I prefer the portability of all these to needing the screen size everywhere I go. But that's just me. I do love the size of the iPad mini 6. I had just recently bought the mini 5 earlier this year, and had to get the new one because of the iPP style form factor. Currently I'm loving playing Melee Mania on it. Perfect size for gaming like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.