Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Better Deal?

• used 1.5GHz G4 12" PowerBook for $750

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • refurb 1.83GHz 13.3" MacBook for $899

Votes: 49 89.1%

• Total voters

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Hey guys and gals.

Just wanted to get your feedback on what you think is a better deal.

This stock 12" PowerBook for $750 + shipping:

12" PowerBook
1.5GHz G4
512MB RAM
60GB HDD
Combo Drive
"excellent condition, not a single scratch, no dead pixels, original box discs and manuals"

or a stock and refurb 13.3" MacBook (white) with the following specs for $949 - $50 Apple credit + tax = $973.17:

1.83GHz
13.3-inch widescreen display
1280 x 800 resolution
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo1
512MB memory (2x256MB SODIMMs)
60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive2
Combo drive (DVD-ROM, CD-RW)

Also, has anyone ever dealt with slipper or can vouch for his/her honesty? Basically, I don't want to lose $750 to a scammer... not that I'm saying slipper is one....

As for my needs for this notebook? Just basic school work, research, etc. Nothing too intensive though I will be running Photoshop occasionally on it to touch up pictures and such (not pro work).

Thanks for taking the time to read this and post your feedback. Cheers! :)

Ensoniq

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bronx, NY
No question about it...any machine with a G3 or G4 (or even a G5) in it is probably a waste of money compared to buying one of the new Intel machines. The Intels are significantly faster than any G3 or G4 machine, are the future of Apple's software development efforts, and will be usable far longer than any of the Gx series chips.

Unless you actually want a 12" screen with 1024x768 resolution and a G4 chip instead of a completely up to date Intel machine, it really makes no sense to not spend the extra $200. 5 years from now, that Intel MacBook will still run whatever the latest Apple OS is. The G4 PowerBook will not.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
The MB is the way to go. Don't be stuck in the past with a G4. The PB may look cool, and may be a little lighter than the MB, but that's just about the only advantages it has over the MB.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
farqueue said:
dont get thosr, get a dell M1210
Very helpful. :rolleyes:

Personally I would get the MacBook. Sure the G4 is capable of doing the things you need without too many hassles, but it's outdated and older technology. This means the MacBook should last you a longer time. I also prefer the slightly bigger screen, it makes a surprising difference.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
why the hell would you want that dell, it's plain nasty.

anyway, get the macbook, it rocks, buy it stock and get some cheap ram off newegg.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
dextertangocci said:
The MB is the way to go. Don't be stuck in the past with a G4. The PB may look cool, and may be a little lighter than the MB, but that's just about the only advantages it has over the MB.

Don't forget the dedicated video card on the Powerbook. No mooing whining discolouring either.

I have a 12" Powerbook and have been looking into a MacBook however and voted for the macbook above.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
Should be a very easy choice. Macbook all the way. It'll run laps around that powerbook like a donkey chasing a donut.

Graphics are better in it as well, even with it being integrated. Up the ram as money permits though, but do it in lump, meaning just save up until you can afford 2gb. 512mb is very useable until you can get the ram though.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Well, looks like most people seem to be in agreement that the MacBook is the way to go.... value/bang-for-buck/longevity-wise.

A few people also mentioned increasing the RAM on the MacBook. That I would definitely do.... It's just a matter of deciding between 1GB or 2GB. I'm thinking 1GB will be fine since I won't be running Windows on it (already have a Windows box for games) and that it'll mainly be used for school work, research, typing up papers, Internet, etc.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
I'd say the macbook. The 12 inch PB still is a nice computer but for 200 more you can have a computer that will last you a while longer (tech wise). On the plus side the 12 inch PB isn't nearly as glitchy as some MB's so keep that in mind and it looks pretty hot. 12 inch PB's look so cool. In terms of power the MB would smoke that 12 inch PB any day of the week. I personally have a G4 laptop and I don't regret ever buying it. It has less glitches then current gen MB's, it runs a lot cooler, it makes no strange sounds (seriously I can't hear my iBook running), and they pretty much do any task you need. Aside from that if you want to risk it with first gen hardware then buy the MB (who knows what kind of future problems they could have). Thats a pretty good deal you got on one. I'd personally buy it over the PB only if you get apple care with it. Overall if you need a computer for long term reliability then get the PB (their slow,but they've been proven to be good computers). If you need something with a little more juice to it then get the MB.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
emotion said:
Don't forget the dedicated video card on the Powerbook. No mooing whining discolouring either.

I have a 12" Powerbook and have been looking into a MacBook however and voted for the macbook above.

I agree about the dedicated graphics, but the MB makes up for it by allowing up to 2GB (or 4GB, if you are willing to spend like $1200). My MB doesn't moo at all, nor do I have any of the discolouration issues:) If you are still worried about discolouration, there's always the black model:cool: The MB's screen is also WAY better than the PB screen.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
dextertangocci said:
I agree about the dedicated graphics, but the MB makes up for it by allowing up to 2GB (or 4GB, if you are willing to spend like $1200). My MB doesn't moo at all, nor do I have any of the discolouration issues:) If you are still worried about discolouration, there's always the black model:cool: The MB's screen is also WAY better than the PB screen.

I agree. I was playing devils advocate, as I say I voted for the MB and I'm looking into replacing my rev c pbook with one.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
Well, I'm a PPC fan myself, but as for the "more bang for your buck" I chose the MacBook. I personally would get the Powerbook (maybe not at that small of a price difference) but that's more due to my preference of aluminum over plastic, fear of the unknown, and the fact that the Powerbook does plenty for me and then some. But like max altiude said the G4 is outdated (I hate saying like that, IMO it doesn't seem outdated to me but it is what it is).:) Money-wise the MacBook would be the better deal.

Good luck and congrats!

count chocula

macrumors 6502a
sw1tcher said:
Well, looks like most people seem to be in agreement that the MacBook is the way to go.... value/bang-for-buck/longevity-wise.

A few people also mentioned increasing the RAM on the MacBook. That I would definitely do.... It's just a matter of deciding between 1GB or 2GB. I'm thinking 1GB will be fine since I won't be running Windows on it (already have a Windows box for games) and that it'll mainly be used for school work, research, typing up papers, Internet, etc.
i'm running my 2.0 macbook on 1 gig of ram, and although i havent run it through any pro apps, 1GB works perfectly with lots of stuff running. it has never slowed down for me ever and it does things that i could have dreamed of on my old computer.

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
sw1tcher said:

Go for 2GB. You'll eventually want to upgrade later, might as well max it out now - it's not that expensive. Then you won't be throwing away worthless 512MB modules later. (You must install 2 identical modules whatever you do, or you'll cripple the already-marginal integrated gfx.)

Rosetta needs lots of RAM to perform well - you mentioned school work, so remember MS Office for OSX is still not universal, and given how Apple's coming after Microsoft, it might never be. Also, if you ever end up wanting to run Windows, either with Parallels or under whatever virtualization Apple ships with Leopard (10.5), you'll be ready.

-vga4life

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
dextertangocci said:

I thought the mb could only handle 2GB of RAM????:confused:

Baddcow

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2003
Virginia
Thoughts on the Macbook vs. Powerbooks

I just bought the Black 2GHZ Macbook and am thrilled with the features. I've owned all of the afore mentioned Powerbooks, 12" 15" and currently the 17" PB. I was worried about dropping down to a 13.3" screen but my 1GHZ 17" was getting a bit long in the tooth. I always liked the 12" PB but the screen was too small to make working the occassional Excel spreadsheet enjoyable. I've worked Excel on this Macbook and with the widescreen I can work the sheets just fine.
The built in webcam is great as is the new trackpad (dual finger scrolling and right click ( tap ) function). The light weight of this model is a godsend wrt my previous 17" PB and it does so much more. One of the neatest and most appreciated features has got to be the magnetic latch of the lid to body. I was tired of trying to push that button just right on the powerbook. This magnetic latch is much better and allows for a better/cleaner form when the lid is closed. I upgraded to 2GB of Ram via Small Dog Electronics for about 219.00 and even got a free ipod Nano with the Macbook, all for well under 1399.00 (you have to look for the deals, they are out there).
The only bad thing I have to say about the macbook is regarding the black finish...it shows grease and finger prints as if I've been eating a bag of greasy potato chips and typing ( even when my hands are clean and dry). Some Windex and papertowels gets it back to a clean state but just thought I'd mention it. The sturdiness is comparable to the Powerbooks and the body isnt as dentable as every one of the current Aluminum Powerbooks. Sorry, cool as they are..they dent too easily. The Macbook doesnt, a very nice feauture.

Just my two cents...go with the Macbook, upgrade the RAM and enjoy. Lastly, does anyone know where I can purchase a larger hard drive for this thing? I went with the 80GB but really want to throw in a 120GB or greater. Ciao.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.