Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
My family uses my Apple account to access our purchased movie library. My wife has titles that she purchased years ago on her account. While we can access them from my account (TV > Library > Family Sharing > [Wife's Name] > Movies), the process is a little convoluted.

It would be convenient to have the option to integrate her library inline with mine for a more unified interface (for her titles to be displayed alongside mine, and to be able to play them from within the search menu).

Wonder if we'll ever see this kind of integration.

Reactions: vddobrev and 26139

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Also, I was thinking about setting up separate profiles for my wife and kids on our Apple TV so that we could all have separate Up Next lists, and content recommendations, but this requires that we have separate Apple IDs. I was hoping we could all continue using just my Apple ID.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Update: So, now it appears that she can play movies that I’ve purchased by searching for them (in addition to being able to navigate to my library from hers). This wasn’t the case a few days ago, so either Apple heeded my email, or somehow adding my wife to the Home app made it happen. Not sure.

PilotC150

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
Creating users without an Apple ID is something I really wish it had. I've wanted it for a long time. I'd like to be able to add a family member either with an apple ID, like my wife, or without an apple ID, like my kids.

Then with that i would be nice if certain apps could honor the selected user and not ask again. So once I choose my name in Hulu, Plex, or Netflix, anytime I opened those apps with my user selected it would automatically choose that account. Basically a single sign-on between the apps.

Seems like a reasonable request.

Reactions: purdnost

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Also, custom home menus would be nice. My kids, for example, don’t need all the apps that my wife and I use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.