Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
The back of my iPhone XS Max somehow is cracked. I have never had this happen before. I have a case over it and put a piece of tape over the rounded opening of the case where the Apple logo is just in case. I plan to upgrade in the fall, and do not have it under warranty, and I own the phone. I do not really care that it is cracked, as long as it does not start breaking apart. In terms of resale/trade in value, am I better off repairing it and selling it/trading it in, or just leaving it as is and factoring that into the price? I understand that I can get more for it if it wasn't cracked, though I think Apple wants $350 or more to fix it. Is it worth it to do it? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
I saw a YouTube vid were it was demonstrated how a laser device is used to basically vaporize the bonding adhesive holding the glass back to the phone. And then a 3rd party glass back installed.

From what the guy said while the laser was doing it's thing, Apple re-cases the guts of the phone into a new body - expensive.

Reactions: kat.hayes

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Check if there aren't any local repair shops that have that special laser to remove the back glass and replace it.
Otherwise doing it yourself is extremely tricky and hard, and not worth your time.

Reactions: kat.hayes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.