Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
I traded in an iPhone 14 Pro, 256GB.

Apple’s system quoted me a $570 trade-in value. However, they credited my account $602 instead. I did keep it pristine, maybe they took that into account? Anyway, nice to see that sometimes they lowball the amount.

edit: fixed estimate amount

Last edited:

Mr. Hindsight

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2020
I think you may have meant $570? Thats what my 14 Pro with 128 gb was quoted at. Just got the confirmation the trade in was good earlier.

It didn’t mention an adjustment to the value but I did notice it still showed $570. I’m wondering if it may change when the actual refund is applied. Has your refund been applied yet?

Edit: Just checked the status again and it says, Final: $570.00

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
I think you may have meant $570? Thats what my 14 Pro with 128 gb was quoted at. Just got the confirmation the trade in was good earlier.

It didn’t mention an adjustment to the value but I did notice it still showed $570. I’m wondering if it may change when the actual refund is applied. Has your refund been applied yet?
lol, yes. You’re right, it was $570. My refund has been applied and settled in my account. An extra $32 is nice though.

Mr. Hindsight

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2020
Hmm I’m pretty sure I’ve never gotten the tax adjustment back from a trade in. Must be certain states do that. I do know on my Apple Card, they will adjust the original Daily Cash similar to when you return something at a store.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
Hmm I’m pretty sure I’ve never gotten the tax adjustment back from a trade in. Must be certain states do that. I do know on my Apple Card, they will adjust the original Daily Cash similar to when you return something at a store.
I’ve traded my phone in for several years and I don’t recall ever getting an amount different from the estimate, but maybe this year they adjusted for sales tax as suggested? Curious thing anyway 😊

markp-a

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
The $360 for my 12 pro turned into $388 refund on my visa. In minnesota. I also bought the phone outright and did not finance, maybe that matters.

Reactions: Wizec

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I traded in an iPhone 14 Pro, 256GB.

Apple’s system quoted me a $570 trade-in value. However, they credited my account $602 instead. I did keep it pristine, maybe they took that into account? Anyway, nice to see that sometimes they lowball the amount.

edit: fixed estimate amount
My trade-in value was exactly as the trade in value posted on Apple Store website or app. Great to hear you got a better value! 😊

Reactions: Wizec

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
intersting. I wonder if internally they are valuing the storage higher once received. As it stand on their website, it doesn't matter if you have a 128gb phone or 1TB.

Reactions: a83859372

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
It depends on the state. Certain states like New York allow trade-ins to offset the sales tax charged on the new product. In NY, this mostly applies to trading in a car to buy a new one, but I guess it also applies to phones.

However, other states such as California, do not have such a law, so trading in cars or phones won’t reduce the sales tax on the new purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.