Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
I made this BTT trigger to quit items in the dock faster by automatically clicking the context menu item, but either nothing happens or it opens the menu without actually clicking it. I looked this issue up and found a bunch of old posts with no solutions.
r0k8zsry3flc1.png

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
Edit: I got a response from the dev, I'll wait for that new version to come out whenever it does.
unfortunately the dock context menu's don't behave like normal context menus. Not sure whether I'll be able to workaround that.
However in the latest alpha (4.411 ) the "Quit App Under Cursor" action, will also work on Dock items. That's probably a better solution to the problem anyways.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I have always found BTT very quirky and sometimes it works as I expect/hope and sometimes not. Never sure whether that is me or BTT! But I do keep using it. When I can, I prefer to use Keyboard Maestro (there is some overlap between them) because it is powerful and works as expected (when I can find the right actions!).

I tried your Quit action and all it does for me is to display the context menu, but not take the Quit action. So I can reproduce what you get. I tried other actions too. I suspect there is something about a Dock context menu which is different to an application context menu.

-------

But, you got me intrigued. The Trigger Context Menu Item action does show the Context Menu when I hover over an item in the Dock. Quit is always at the bottom, so add an uparrow and a return keystroke. Like this:

Capto_2024-03-01_15-00-45_.png

That does the quit when I hover over an app in the Dock.

I am so pleased with myself for working that out - thank you for the idea!

As a bonus, if you do the same trigger for an app which is closed (but permanently in the dock) it opens the app (because Open is at the bottom of the context menu).

Last edited:

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
@gilby101 That's creative, though now that the update has been released I just use quit app under cursor and it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.