Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Ugh.

An older version of Airfoil and I guess in particular their Instant On component really messes up in High Sierra. I can't say for sure, but I think it was even choking Safari to death; pages wouldn't load, although sometimes it depended on the page. Sometimes I got almost nothing. And the Sound Pref Pane wouldn't even launch fully. And no sound, and coreaudio failing per Activity Monitor.

Suspicious, I launched the older version and could update within High Sierra, but several attempts to install the Instant On upgrade, or even uninstall the old one, resulted in hangs. And BTW, you have to force quit from within Activity Monitor.

I manually found the components and launchdaemons in /Library, and got rid of them, and stuff seems to be better. And on a laptop where I had upgraded Airfoil BEFORE HS it had no problems.

Reactions: hounslowfish

hounslowfish

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Ooh! This might be the source of my safari problems. Thank you so much for posting this.
[doublepost=1506528906][/doublepost]
Ooh! This might be the source of my safari problems. Thank you so much for posting this.

Please can you tell me what files I need to delete to manually uninstall instant hijack?

Thanks!

hounslowfish

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/InstantOn.driver was the demon! Deleted and my beach balling is solved!!!

Thank you sooooooo much for posting this thread!!

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Thank you VERY much. Was beginning to really hate the Beachball (such a shame :D ). It's amazing how much this plugin instantOn.driver can jam things up.

I had called Apple, etc- no resolve. So now I've avoided a clean install and hours of work.

Thanks gain.

Makes me appreciated Mac Rumors also.

Note: they should really make this a sticky until it's resolved. A very serious bug

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.