Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple be selling a less able version of the Iphone 7 without the customers knowledge

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I specifically stated I need it for use on Verizon in the USA. Hence my frustration ...

They should have known but there's always misinformed reps on every company. Always best to do your own research before taking someone else's word in the future...
[doublepost=1486327193][/doublepost]
Canada doesn't but other countries do. The whole point of an unlocked phone is being able to slap any SIM card in it and go. For my money, I want the better model.

You can still use it in other countries with any gsm carrier. Cdma is not the only option on any country.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Still. If you buy a car but didn't research the model, do you think the car dealership will take pity? No. You bought what they sold you. You didn't take a quick second to Google it, you didn't second guess them, etc. With the widely available access to the internet these days, I don't know why more people don't take a second to check.
Analogies never works, fact is yes he could / should have researched a bit, but the reality of things is that it is not up to the buyer to hunt for info, this is why we have store with real people in it (so you can ask for that info), otherwise we would be all buying from Amazon!

"Real" store exist because the buyer need human contact, he / she needs advice.

A piece of advice, yes internet is widely available, but don't trust everything you read in there!

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Hi All,

I am writing here as I believe I am out of options with the totally unhelpful apple support I have received so far.

So I purchased an iPhone 7 Sim free (unlocked) from an Apple UK store in December so I can use it anywhere I go as i travel to different countries, often the USA. Before purchasing the iPhone 7 I twice asked staff whether i am able to use the phone on any network in the USA, and was told that this is why you buy an unlocked iPhone....

However to my dismay, I have since discovered that Apple in fact sneakily sells two versions of the iPhone, one which works with every network (qualcomm), and another (intel) which to put it simply is unable to do so. At no point does apple state is has two tiers of Iphone 7 on its website or in stores.

After discovering more information about this extremely unfair issue, I have discovered that the superior Qualcomm based iPhone is in fact also faster and has better signal in general, and is a much more reliable and faster product, creating a two tier based production of which the consumer has no idea when purchasing.

Read more here:

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom....google.com/&referrer=https://www.google.com/

http://fortune.com/2016/10/20/apple-iphone-7-qualcomm-intel/

Since arriving in the USA, I now have a nearly $800 dollar paper weight for a phone as I have a contract on a Verizon network which CDMA based and cannot work on the inferior iPhone. This issue will affect many carriers in other countries too from which have read and the Apple staff have offered me no solution other than buy the other better iPhone again.

So as a warning to any potential Iphone buyers out there who whish to have a phone which able to work as advertised, please make sure you only buy in select places in the USA or you will be left out of pocket and out of help!

Does any one out there has any advice on what to do next? Apple are uninterested in resolving the issue..
I can understand how frustrating this situation can be. However, I wouldn't expect a retail employee from an Apple store in the UK to know which iPhone model you would need for use on Verizon (assuming you specifically mentioned that you wanted to use this on Verizon while in the US). But I also wouldn't blame you for thinking that an unlocked/sim-free model from the UK would work on every carrier in the US considering the 6 and 6s worked on each of the main carriers in the US. Clearly Apple took a step backwards here as they should've kept going similarly to the 6/6s to where they work on all carriers. The information is definitely out there on the Apple website in both the UK Apple website and the US Apple website, you would have just needed to know to look.

You've mentioned that Apple isn't interested in resolving the issue, have you tried e-mailing Tim Cook's executive team? You do this by e-mailing Tim Cook directly with the issue and somebody will contact you. I won't post the e-mail here but if you Google search you should be able to find it. If you try that route, they may be able to help you out. But only use this as a last resort. Good luck.
[doublepost=1486366517][/doublepost]
Most likely not the case since in the UK they have no CDMA carriers. I doubt they even sell the CDMA model at all.
You may be correct, they may not. I went to the Apple UK site and selected "Buy". It only allows me to select between: iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 plus, color and capacity. Nowhere do I see an option to select the models. I wonder if they even carry the A1660/A1661 models at all in the UK. However, it does show the different model numbers when you go to "Tech Specs": http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-7/specs/

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
From what i understand, this is the first time apple has sold as a sim-free model that is not both gsm and cdma enabled. If you buy one from or for a select network then that will vary, understandably so. By definition it is not fully carrier unlocked as it doesn't work with all carriers

Your understanding is wrong.
Only the iPhone 6 and 6S had an unlocked model that worked on both gsm and cdma networks.
Isn't the SIM-free model for iPhone 7 line of essentially the same one that is used for Verizon/Sprint which is the Qualcomm one that supports both GSM and CDMA? https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/13/apple-selling-sim-free-iphone-7/

Reactions: Peter K.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Isn't the SIM-free model for iPhone 7 line of essentially the same one that is used for Verizon/Sprint which is the Qualcomm one that supports both GSM and CDMA? https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/13/apple-selling-sim-free-iphone-7/

"As of this afternoon, Apple has started offering a SIM-free version of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus from its online store in the United States, allowing customers to buy an unlocked iPhone without choosing a carrier."

Only in the US is the SIM free model the Qualcomm version. In other countries, the SIM free model is the Intel version.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Analogies never works, fact is yes he could / should have researched a bit, but the reality of things is that it is not up to the buyer to hunt for info, this is why we have store with real people in it (so you can ask for that info), otherwise we would be all buying from Amazon!

"Real" store exist because the buyer need human contact, he / she needs advice.

A piece of advice, yes internet is widely available, but don't trust everything you read in there!

If it's directly off the Apple store website, I see why not. I do see your point though. I guess I feel that it's very important to know exactly what you are getting before you get it. I knew my T-Mobile iPhone 7+ was an Intel. I also knew that might affect resale so I will be keeping it to use for JUMP on my carrier. Hell I even knew my cars horsepower, torque, country of manufacturer and assembly.

I guess I just don't understand why with the wealth of factual (Not just forum blabber) on the internet, someone wouldn't feel compelled to read a bit about a product. I guess everyone is different.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
"As of this afternoon, Apple has started offering a SIM-free version of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus from its online store in the United States, allowing customers to buy an unlocked iPhone without choosing a carrier."

Only in the US is the SIM free model the Qualcomm version. In other countries, the SIM free model is the Intel version.
Apple Store UK doesn't even show a sim free model but under tech specs lists both models of the phone.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
If it's directly off the Apple store website, I see why not. I do see your point though. I guess I feel that it's very important to know exactly what you are getting before you get it. I knew my T-Mobile iPhone 7+ was an Intel. I also knew that might affect resale so I will be keeping it to use for JUMP on my carrier. Hell I even knew my cars horsepower, torque, country of manufacturer and assembly.

I guess I just don't understand why with the wealth of factual (Not just forum blabber) on the internet, someone wouldn't feel compelled to read a bit about a product. I guess everyone is different.
We agree on many point, but the fact reains, IF I go to a store and ask them specifically what I want to do, I expect them to suggest the best product for my needs, hiding themselves behind the "you should inform yourself before buying" is silly, as aking you (the seller) what is the best tool (for my needs) is exaclly doing that ...getting informed.

Yes it is VERY important to know what you are getting, and asking is a way of knowing.

Last edited:

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Apple Store UK doesn't even show a sim free model but under tech specs lists both models of the phone.

Yes, I notice the same here in Canada. The website shows both models under the technical specs. But, they don't sell the A1660/A1661 model here. Again, the whole thing is shady IMO.

Reactions: xoAnna

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
We agree on many point, but the fact reains, IF I go to a store and ask them specifically what I want to do, I expect them to suggest the best product for my needs, hiding themselve behind the "you should inform yourself before buying" is silly, as aking you (the seller) what is the best tool (for my needs) is exaclly doing that ...getting informed.

Yes it is VERY important to know what you are getting, and asking is a way of knowing.

And as you can see above not every store rep is adequately informed.
That happens with every company and to avoid such issues its always good to do your own research also dont you agree?

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
I specifically stated I need it for use on Verizon in the USA. Hence my frustration ...

Why doesn't the Intel one work with Sprint and Verizon?
Other than the CDMA fallback, 3G and LTE should work right?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Why doesn't the Intel one work with Sprint and Verizon?
Other than the CDMA fallback, 3G and LTE should work right?

No, their 3G is CDMA based not GSM.
LTE only could possibly work but the phone doesnt connect or work at all with Sprint/Verizon.
You cant use half of their service like LTE for data and no voice calls via CDMA that most of their network is based on.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Strange that Apple would bother having different versions of the SIM-free model.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Strange that Apple would bother having different versions of the SIM-free model.

Yeah, I think this started with the iPhone 7. The SIM free model is typicially the "do it all" version of the phone. Not this time apparently. I just think is kinda crappy that they are doing 2 different SIM free models this time and making the less capable version the only one available outside of the USA.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
And as you can see above not every store rep is adequately informed.
That happens with every company and to avoid such issues its always good to do your own research also dont you agree?
You can't possibly think that the average Joe does some research on something he is not proficent on (you don't need to be a techie to buy an iPhone) but you can pretend that a company QA trains better their employee and B takes responsability for what a rep said, If this guy showed me one of my rep screwed up, I'd take the responsability and exchange the product and would definetly have a chat with my rep to figure out why he screwed up (not blaming him, but trying to understand, if he screwed up today another one could tomorrow, what can I do to avoid it?)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Sprint and Verizon versions are the Qualcomm. T-Mobile and AT&T versions are the Intel.

I'm not sure why they sold you the Intel. At the Apple store here in the US, the SIM unlocked version is the Qualcomm I believe.

I'd recommend trying to sell yours. You might be out a little bit unfortunately.

Sorry for your bad luck.
I've been told that other countries that sells sim-free models are in fact has Intel in them and not Qualcomm. So maybe this is why it won't work on Verizon or sprint. I was at the Apple Store one time where a customer states that he got the sim-free model in UK and they brought it to Apple in us as they tried to get it to work in cdma network but couldn't because they found out that it has Intel.

Only in the U.S the sim-free model is A1660/A1661 which is Qualcomm

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You can't possibly think that the average Joe does some research on something he is not proficent on (you don't need to be a techie to buy an iPhone) but you can pretend that a company QA trains better their employee and B takes responsability for what a rep said, If this guy showed me one of my rep screwed up, I'd take the responsability and exchange the product and would definetly have a chat with my rep to figure out why he screwed up (not blaming him, but trying to understand, if he screwed up today another one could tomorrow, what can I do to avoid it?)

The average Joe should do some research on their own and never rely on whatever a random rep tells them. Because they're not always right and they dont always look after the customers best interest;)
But again this could all have been avoided.
And to make another point in the UK they do not sell any of the CDMA enabled iPhone 7 models so how could a store in Europe sell him or even exchange it for a model that they do not have available?
Also assuming what the OP stated above is true that he told the particular rep he wanted to use it in the US on a CDMA carrier such as Verizon.

awair

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
If you purchased in the U.K... and...

If you identified at the time of purchase that you needed the CDMA compatible or Verizon compatible version...

... under U.K. consumer law, you can obtain a full refund.

You can then buy the US version, but if anything fails a day out of warranty, you get nothing. Under UK/EU law your statutory rights are not limited to a definitive period.

It's tough that the products are different, but I have now stopped buying in the US, as the warranty is grossly inferior.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
If you purchased in the U.K... and...

If you identified at the time of purchase that you needed the CDMA compatible or Verizon compatible version...

... under U.K. consumer law, you can obtain a full refund.

You can then buy the US version, but if anything fails a day out of warranty, you get nothing. Under UK/EU law your statutory rights are not limited to a definitive period.

It's tough that the products are different, but I have now stopped buying in the US, as the warranty is grossly inferior.

How would the consumer prove what was "identified at the time of purchase"? Seems like his word against theirs.

awair

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
How would the consumer prove what was "identified at the time of purchase"? Seems like his word against theirs.
That's correct. And since they can't prove what you did or didn't say, retailers tend to prefer not to accuse you of lying.
The three conditions of sale IIRC:
Merchantable quality
As described
Fit for purpose

"As described" does not only mean, as per official web-site. If you go in to a shop, and ask for a device that "makes calls on any network worldwide, especially Verizon in the US", that is what they obliged to provide you when they say/agree "here is the IPhone - it will do all that and more"

You've notified the purpose, they've described it's abilities.

Some retailers may insist, they "don't know", including a phrase such as "you're on your own". In this case, you are not covered, unless you can find (official?) published information. And trust me, they will remember that conversation.

...not a lawyer, but based on many years of experience!

Reactions: timeconsumer

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
That's correct. And since they can't prove what you did or didn't say, retailers tend to prefer not to accuse you of lying.
The three conditions of sale IIRC:
Merchantable quality
As described
Fit for purpose

"As described" does not only mean, as per official web-site. If you go in to a shop, and ask for a device that "makes calls on any network worldwide, especially Verizon in the US", that is what they obliged to provide you when they say/agree "here is the IPhone - it will do all that and more"

You've notified the purpose, they've described it's abilities.

Some retailers may insist, they "don't know", including a phrase such as "you're on your own". In this case, you are not covered, unless you can find (official?) published information. And trust me, they will remember that conversation.

...not a lawyer, but based on many years of experience!
Thanks for the explanation. Also in this person's defense, they could argue that the UK Apple website does show both models under tech specs, and they specifically stated at time of purchase in the store they wanted one that worked on Verizon. Hopefully the OP reads this and is able to do this.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I don't get it, isn't it all right here?

http://www.apple.com/lae/iphone-7/specs/

Cellular and Wireless
Model A1660*
Model A1661*
FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Model A1778*
Model A1784*
FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
All models
802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO
Bluetooth 4.2 wireless technology
NFC

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I hope JBL90 goes back to that Apple Store, and tries to get the right phone. I would take it
to whatever level I had to, to resolve this issue. I think the Apple employees should know their
sh**t. You shouldn't have to know more than them.

Mr_Indigo

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
UK
Isn't the whole point of having sales staff, so that you can ask and be asked questions prior to purchase and that those salespeople are specifically trained to give you advice on your purchase so that you make a considered purchase.

Personally, I think you have a case and I would take this to Citizens Advice. The information is not in plain sight and is hidden in spec speak which a lot of people don't understand. I consider myself quite tech savvy and I didn't have a clue there were different iPhone versions based on accessible bands.

Apple had a duty to explain in simple digestible language and they have not done that. It is so easy to find information if it's information you know exists and that you understand, the OP clearly stated in his pre-purchase request what he wanted and he didn't get it, so he was mis-sold the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.