Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moorgan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
California
I recently updated to Sonoma, and that reset the "downloaded from the internet" popup for every application that isn't from the App Store. The weird thing is that Beyond Compare 4 (compares differences between text documents) was one of those that came up upon login, but it was definitely not open before the update. I didn't need it open and cluttering the screen, so I just selected Cancel because I needed to deal with the dozen other things going on at login of a new OS. However it just ignored me, which annoyed me. So I spammed Cancel until it finally stopped, but a few minutes later it came back again.

I double checked and it was not in login items, but it was in background items for some reason. After disabling it in background items, uninstalling the launch agent that makes the option even show up in background items, emptying the trash, restarting with restore windows disabled, and trying several other things, the popup keeps returning. I know if I choose Open instead the popup will stop, but I haven't because this app should not be capable of covertly opening on its own, and I wouldn't notice it doing that if it wasn't for this popup. So why is it, and how do I stop it? I mean maybe I'm being paranoid, but even if it's checking for updates or something it still shouldn't be able to launch without me manually opening the app first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.