Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eboychik

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
NJ USA
My 4K Apple TV with tvOS 14.3 beta freezes on Hulu, Netflix, streaming from my home movie library - everything. It freezes, stalls, gives me restart messages. I bought a new modem and a new mesh router system thinking that was the issue, but all the same apps, on my iPad in the same room as the Apple TV, run just fine. I’m beginning to think the problem is with the Apple TV itself, and not my network connection. Anyone else experiencing this?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Have you tried connecting the ATV to the router via Ethernet to see if the same happens?

eboychik

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
NJ USA
I would, but it's too far away from the modem to be able to do that. But as mentioned, all those apps work fine on my ipad, connected to the same network, and in the same room.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Sounds like a hardware defect to me then. If at all possible, I'd try using Ethernet as a last ditch effort (perhaps you can bring a computer monitor or something as a display close to the router just for testing).

Downside

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2020
After reading your post I had to create an account and log in to respond since I had a very similar problem with my ATV for a while. I could sit on the couch and watch content on my phone just fine but my ATV 8 feet away in the same room was having trouble.

From my spot in the room the only thing between me and the Eero node serving that part of the house was a single door/wall. From the ATV's location in the furniture under my TV were 3 compartments of particle board, the metal enclosure of a 4k blue ray, and an PS4 pro, along with the before mentioned interior wall all in line between the ATV and the mesh node.

Moved the ATV up on top to test one one day and it made a huge difference. Ignore if you've already tested, but moving the ATV a few feet in the room one way or another may be worth testing.

If the mesh nodes your running aren't too expensive and have the option, putting one in a good spot in the room with the ATV and then cabling the ATV to the mesh node with ethernet may solve improve things as well.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Where is the appleTV? especially in relation to other electronics
Mine is tucked in to the wall mount for my TV, and if I put it in the wrong place the remote starts to suffer due to RF interference from the TV (that aTV is wired ethernet)

have you tried the speed test app?

how long since you've reset the appleTV and started over?

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
I have similar problems with YouTube app on Apple TV 4K. Mine is connected via ethernet on a 100 Mbps plan and every time I try to watch YouTube the Apple TV remote is not recognized or is non responsive. I have to restart the Apple TV to get the remote to work, beyond frustrating. I also use YouTube TV but that app works flawless, as do all other apps. I have no idea why YouTube acts this way.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
My 4K Apple TV with tvOS 14.3 beta freezes on Hulu, Netflix, streaming from my home movie library - everything. It freezes, stalls, gives me restart messages. I bought a new modem and a new mesh router system thinking that was the issue, but all the same apps, on my iPad in the same room as the Apple TV, run just fine. I’m beginning to think the problem is with the Apple TV itself, and not my network connection. Anyone else experiencing this?
Same thing, today I did a complete re-install, (restart to original) been 8 hours now, and not a single freeze,crossing my fingers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.