Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AkiNikoTanTan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I just got hold of one of these, i installed it, ran it a few times. Upon startup, its able to run at least once but it will show an error message saying "BF2142 has quited unexpectedly", although it is still running, i can just ignore the message and continue. However, if i want to edit the video settings, i would need to restart the game if not it will not take effect, and after i restart it, it will not start up anymore until i restart my mac. The icon will not bounce anymore, instead if i click on it, it will prompt me to "force quit" :(:(

I tried to searched for any update patch, but apparantly its the latest version (v1.25).

Can anyone help please? Thank you

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I just got hold of one of these, i installed it, ran it a few times. Upon startup, its able to run at least once but it will show an error message saying "BF2142 has quited unexpectedly", although it is still running, i can just ignore the message and continue. However, if i want to edit the video settings, i would need to restart the game if not it will not take effect, and after i restart it, it will not start up anymore until i restart my mac. The icon will not bounce anymore, instead if i click on it, it will prompt me to "force quit" :(:(

I tried to searched for any update patch, but apparantly its the latest version (v1.25).

I plan on picking on of these up when they are officially released Tuesday...I will let you know how mine goes...is you video card meeting the specs?

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
How are you playing this? With an unoffical version of Cider? If so, that wont get you much support here.

The mac version supposedly isnt out until Tuesday.

chilipie

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Englandshire
I've found the Battlefield series to be buggy as hell - I've been playing 2142 (courtesy of Boot Camp) since a few weeks after it came out, and, even after 5 huge patches it still crashes/freezes on a fairly regular basis. It can be enormous fun, but sometimes it's just not worth it, after having to restart the game several times in an hour.

If you're interested, I'm running it on a base 17" CD iMac (1.83, 128mb X1600), with an extra stick of RAM to up it to 1.5gb.

AkiNikoTanTan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
How are you playing this? With an unoffical version of Cider? If so, that wont get you much support here.

The mac version supposedly isnt out until Tuesday.

its already available in here (Singapore), its the original one i got hold off.
Being paid that much, i expect it to run normally.
By the way, i am using Macbook Pro c2d with x1600 128MB VRAM.

do let me know if you guys have any problems

CrescentEdge

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
My biggest issue with the game is the lack of widescreen support. I can't get it to run natively on my 20' Cinema display and to be honest, it looks pretty bad with black letter box bars on the side of the screen.

Apparently there is some way to get it to run in widescreen on windows, but it's still not perfect as the game has to "cut" off part of the image to fit it correctly.

rectangular

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2006
I have a macbook pro SR with a REAL purchased copy of the game at an apple store and am having pretty bad crashes… it's pretty annoying.

Any ideas/solutions yet?

AkiNikoTanTan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
if i had did more research before i purchase it, i would probably not buy it ..ahahaha..

Anyone wanna exchange it for a Quake 4?

rectangular

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2006
I have been running the game on my MacPro now with no hitches whatsoever… interesting!

Perhaps a driver issue with macbook pro?

TrickyX

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
Same Issue Here

I have a Mac Pro and am having the exact same issue. It says it crashes when it starts, but after saying close the game starts. It runs just fine, but if I quit for whatever reason, I can't restart it. The Game just goes to not responding every time you try to launch it. I would at least like to know what process I can kill so I can rerun it without rebooting the computer..

Anyone else? I can't find jack on the EA forums about it yet.. Already bought this game twice to promote gaming on the Mac, once for XP, now for OS X. EA better not F%#$ me.. :confused:

TrickyX

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
Fix for reboot problem

I have a Mac Pro and am having the exact same issue. It says it crashes when it starts, but after saying close the game starts. It runs just fine, but if I quit for whatever reason, I can't restart it. The Game just goes to not responding every time you try to launch it. I would at least like to know what process I can kill so I can rerun it without rebooting the computer..

Anyone else? I can't find jack on the EA forums about it yet.. Already bought this game twice to promote gaming on the Mac, once for XP, now for OS X. EA better not F%#$ me.. :confused:

Ok, after figuring out what processes are being kicked off here. After quiting the game, go into activity monitor and force quit the wineserver process. This is what is causing the problem. You still get the error message when it boots but just close that. You can play this way over and over without rebooting. Hopefully they will patch this soon, but this works for now.

Dyuta

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2006
These issues are really disappointing. With the iffy performance coupled with the apparent inability to force widescreen resolutions (as I would in Windows by editing the command line)...

It's disappointing to say this, but perhaps I'd be better off just buying the PC version and running it via Boot Camp.

AkiNikoTanTan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007

Hi people, let me show me how did EA tried to resolve this issue for me in a damn stupid way:

Dear Nicholas,
Pse try the below mentioned and revert soonest possible.

In Mac OS X, click on “Go” on the top menu bar.
Select “Computer”. This will open up a window named “XYZ’s Computer”
where XYZ is the user account name.
On the left-side panel, look for an icon with the user account name e.g.
XYZ. Click on this icon.
A folder named “Library” should appear alongside other icons/folders in
the right-side panel. Open this folder.
There should be another folder named “Preferences” within. Open this
folder.
There will be a folder named “Battlefield 2142 Preferences”. Delete this
entire folder by right-clicking on it and selecting
“Move to Trash”.
Insert the Battlefield 2142 DVD into the drive and start the game. The game
will create a new set of default settings on startup.

Best Regards,
EASG Support

In Mac OS X, since when we have a "go" icon.. LoL~! I did managed to get into the perference folder and deleted everything, but it doesnt help at all. I am demanding them to give me a full refund if they cant resolve this within the next 3 working days. EA if you dont intend to make good games for Mac, dont make any, seriously -.-||

Akebakkken

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007

Hey man.
I bought the game aswell last week(Singapore aswell) and I've been having trouble ever since.

I start the game and everything works perfectly for maybe the first 15 miutes. Then it kinda freezes for maybe less than a minute, before going back to normal. Then after a few minutes everything freezes, the sound starts skipping. Has happend everytime I have played.....

I have a 4 weeks old MBP 15.4", 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 256 8600M GT card, and all the drivers are up to date.

I heard rumors that because the MBP gets so damn hot it might be overheating when playing these games, but I have used fancontrol and it runs at about 70c+ during gametime, so im quite confused.

Any suggestions to this kind of error aswell?

Cheers.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
If you do a search on the net, it seems that BF2142 has had plenty of issues on the PC side too. Some people have weird lagging issues in game, some the game quits to desktop, in some cases game does not seem to see the cd-drive, etc...

TrickyX

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
Not PC Related

If you do a search on the net, it seems that BF2142 has had plenty of issues on the PC side too. Some people have weird lagging issues in game, some the game quits to desktop, in some cases game does not seem to see the cd-drive, etc...

This really has nothing to do with any issues on the PC Side. I have BF 2142 for Windows. It runs perfectly fine on 64-bit XP and 64-bit Vista, running on the same Mac Pro Hardware..

It runs like crap because they did a crap job porting it with Cider. Hopefully these issues can be worked out.

I bought it to support Mac gaming, but it blows compared to running it in Windows at this point.

AkiNikoTanTan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
The problem why BF2142 for Mac is so f#%&@ up is that, they dont make a delicate build for Mac using OpenGL (which is used in games like WoW), the game is converted using cider and was built based on directx which cause it not to function well in non-ms platform. -.-|||||

erikistired

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2006
(770)
the game is buggy on windows. add in a buggy cider, what do you expect? i'm staying far away from this game, especially since EA still doesn't support widescreen.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Got this today, installed it and trying online but keep getting kicked off - apparently a punkbuster error.

I used to run PB updates on my pc manually, but since this is some sort of port, how am I supposed to update it in 2142 on the mac???

mussakcre

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
I tried the PBsetup file but I am unable to select the BF2142 file. Can someone help me figure this program out so I can update my PB.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I tried the PBsetup file but I am unable to select the BF2142 file. Can someone help me figure this program out so I can update my PB.

I don't remember specifically, but I think you drag it from the finder into the little square box. Of course maybe that was the C&C3 patch I applied a couple days ago.

I don't remember having any trouble - what exactly is the problem you're having?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.