Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
In a nod* to the upcoming holiday here in the United States, this week's photo theme is happy Valentines thankfulness.

As always, standard rules apply:
  • The photographs must be your own work
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • This contest runs for about a week, starting now.
  • At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. Apparently as emojis are challenging, their use should also include interpretation.
  • The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Extended! Contest ends 22.00 EST time (GMT-5) on the 8th of December.
  • Above all, have fun :)
* also a nod to @mollyc 's thoughtful P52 theme this week, which I have borrowed with thanks. One might consider participating in that thread -- shopping reactions -- before coming over to try something in this contest.

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
i don’t object. i wasn’t home much of last week due to holiday travel. i’ll find an entry.

Reactions: AppleKarma

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
7407d70bde4c7eaee10e9bb4b114fb2d.jpg

I'll be the first to sumbit an entry. Don't leave me here all alone.

Regarding the theme: thankfull for all the familytrips we could make. This is the last vacation that the children wanted to join us. Bieszczady Mountains, Poland.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Web_November_06_2023_001.jpg

light and shadows and the ability to capture them. although i'd probably be way more productive in life if i'd never taken up photography, i do honestly think my mental health would be worse.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Well I missed the 12/8 deadline, this one taken April-20-2020 shows my family , our “pod” as it was called early in COVID, on a local park outing, maintaining 6 foot distance
00cf89d264539731e7b8e63a466433e6.jpg

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
Feels a bit churlish for judging photos about thankfulness ... I like that all of them wrestling with the theme (an aside: being thankful can be hard, right?)

3rd @Hughmac I love silhouettes. Your picture embodies this theme nicely.

2nd @mollyc A lovely scene, and yes, shadows/light are what it's all about. You wrote, "although i'd probably be way more productive in life if i'd never taken up photography" — I'm going to argue the opposite is equally plausible, and when one factors in the richness of life that the serious pursuit of any hobby can bring, well, there's a lot to be thankful for.

1st @mtbdudex In at the buzzer. Love it. Reminds me of a happy version of the incredibly dark last scene in the Seventh Seal, if you know it. Congratulations on demonstrating emotional closeness can even conquer distance: something to be thankful for.

And thanks to @oblomow . Togetherness on the open road is certainly something to wish for, and to be thankful for when the stars align.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Alrighty .. thx for 1st .. I’ll get the next contest in early next week .. and since 2 weeks over holidays say open Monday 12/11 thru Sunday 12/25 .. wait .. that’s Christmas Day .. ummm 2 1/2 weeks Tuesday 12/27 .. does not work for me as I’m out 12/28 - 1/4 snow skiing big sky in Montana.
So, contest Sunday 12/10 thru Wednesday 12/20, then I judge 12/21 is what I’ll do.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.