Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
All of this is being driven by Spotify, Sweden it's homebase, and the EU. Biden's funklies do not want to be left behind by the EU, so we get this circus. I will admit it was a little strange to load app's on my new Mac computer outside of the Mac App store after 14 years of only iOS devices. I am coming from the PC world so loading outside of an "app store" is SOP. You alway check out any application before you load it but the fenced garden that is the Apple App store is very nice.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
All of this is being driven by Spotify, Sweden it's homebase, and the EU
Epic games isn't EU based. Neither is Match group.
They're both based in the U.S.
And they've been both major drivers in this.
As are and have other in (U.S.-based) Coalition for app fairness.

I find the thought utterly laughable that they're just emulating the E.U.
Biden or not, the U.S. couldn't care less about following E.U. regulatory policy on this.
And the proposed Open App Markets Act is a bipartisan bill.

Apple is also very liberal and Democrat-leaning company (as evidenced in their employee's campaign contributions.
So the Biden administration doesn't even seem to gain themselves by regulating Apple more strongly.

You should ask yourself why it's not just the E.U. but other developed nations around the world that are similarly scrutinising and beginning to regulate Apple's and Google's ecosystems. "Europe selfishly propping their own companies and Biden is bad for America" drivel doesn't adequately explain that.

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Epic games isn't EU based. Neither is Match group.
They're both based in the U.S.
And they've been both major drivers in this.
As are and have other in (U.S.-based) Coalition for app fairness.

I find the thought utterly laughable that they're just emulating the E.U.
Biden or not, the U.S. couldn't care less about following E.U. regulatory policy on this.
And the proposed Open App Markets Act is a bipartisan bill.

Apple is also very liberal and Democrat-leaning company (as evidenced in their employee's campaign contributions.
So the Biden administration doesn't even seem to gain themselves by regulating Apple more strongly.

You should ask yourself why it's not just the E.U. but other developed nations around the world that are similarly scrutinising and beginning to regulate Apple's and Google's ecosystems. "Europe selfishly propping their own companies and Biden is bad for America" drivel doesn't adequately explain that.
In the EU Spotify is driving part of this, the other is the EU's utter hatred for US based tech companies. Apple might be left wing in it's political leanings but is has one thing the Democrats hate billions upon billions of dollars stashed offshore where they can't get their hands on it. The Fed's hate the fact the Apple has stared them down time after time. The term bipartisan in today's Washington DC is a total farce. As for the rest of the world, they too would like to get their meat hooks on some of that Apple cash, and stick it to an evil American corporation.

• Love
Reactions: Razorpit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.