Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
jayscheuerle said:
Sweet! Can you select resolutions higher than your powerbook's native display size?

Of course...not sure what the maximum supported resolution is, but on my old Radius CRT it'll go up to 1600x1200.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
jayscheuerle said:
Sweet! Can you select resolutions higher than your powerbook's native display size?
Yes. The exact resolution depends on what model powerbook you have.

Using VGA or DVI, PowerBooks from the past few years (at least) can go up to 1920x1200. The recent PowerBooks that have dual-link DVI can drive the 30" display (2560x1600) as well.

Blind Buzzard

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2005
Where?
I'm jumpin into this thread off a whim, but will I get good resolution hooking my fairly new iBook 12in laptop up to a 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD from Dell?

Will I get full resolution with the laptop closed and using just the external Monitor/keyboard/mouse?

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Blind Buzzard said:
I'm jumpin into this thread off a whim, but will I get good resolution hooking my fairly new iBook 12in laptop up to a 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD from Dell?

Will I get full resolution with the laptop closed and using just the external Monitor/keyboard/mouse?

iBooks were not designed to be used with the lid closed... that's only a feature of PowerBooks:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88199
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
Blind Buzzard said:

If you use your iBook in clamshell mode then say goodbye to your computer.

Might as well just cook an egg on the mother board

FRIED!

Blind Buzzard said:

You can use Screen Spanning Doctor (see hack above) to enable spanning to your Dell at its native resolution. There is also a hack that enables clamshell mode, but since your iBook releases heat through the keyboard, this is not recommended, BUT if you look in the forums for SSD, you'll find that there is a way to have your iBook ONLY use the external monitor (with all VRAM allocated to it) with the iBook open. It involves waking the iBook from sleep via an external USB or Bluetooth device while it's closed and then opening it. Hunt around.

Blind Buzzard said:
Hmmm.......

Seems I should have done a little more research. I may have been better off with a PB!!!!

In terms of the 12", the general consensus is that the Powerbook isn't worth the dollar difference. I keep my iBook on end, A-frame style, open about an inch, on a shelf under my HDTV, which it powers as a 2nd monitor via screen spanning. Hasn't been a lick of trouble.

Attachments

• jsetup.jpg
    jsetup.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 315

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
yeah im pretty sure the ibook vents from the keyboard.. so it would make it impossible to run it in any sort of clamshell mode with out doing dammage to the mobo or built in lcd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.