Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It really depends on if you have the eyes to be able to notice it.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
6s Plus Camera was very nice but Xs Max is top notch. besides my 6s plus camera had a black spot and i've replaced the camera three times and the spot comes back after a few days. i'm thinking its something to do with the hardware that is killing the camera. I'm on ios 9.3.2 on 6s plus and have a Xs max.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Now that’s not a helpful response!

It’s true though. So many times I’ve shown people pictures taken with an inferior camera next to a picture taken with a much better camera and they just didn’t see the difference. I think it’s important to take into account the level of understanding of photography in general when it comes to comparisons like this.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
The camera is miles ahead of the 6s / 6s+. For example, grass and tree leaves don’t turn to mush or look like wax or a watercolor painting when zoomed in on. This was the case with people’s faces also, terrible in low light! That is mainly because that camera on the 6S (and all iPhone cameras up until the Xs) had a very small sensor compared to the larger sensor on the Xs. Apple’s aggressive noise reduction on the previous model cameras was pretty strong. The only way to get rid of it was to shoot raw, then you just had a grainy photo. That is the only reason why I upgraded from the X to the XS because of the camera is so much better. The optics are better and the camera and sensor is better. Hopefully that answers your question as to if this camera on the Xs is better or not, it truly is.
[doublepost=1538981839][/doublepost]
It’s true though. So many times I’ve shown people pictures taken with an inferior camera next to a picture taken with a much better camera and they just didn’t see the difference. I think it’s important to take into account the level of understanding of photography in general when it comes to comparisons like this.

Well I guess on a high-resolution small screen like the iPhone has, it may be difficult to tell to some degree. But if you look at it on a computer monitor, the difference is really noticeable. I use an app called Big photo and it allows a 100% view of any image on the iPhone and that app gives exif data and also at 100%, shows any flaws. It’s a cool app! Twin viewer is also a good app.

Reactions: akash.nu

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I can see a difference between pictures taken with my former X and those taken with my current XS.

I can’t even remember what pics taken with my old 6s were like (I upgrade annually), but I know they weren’t near as good as the X.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
There are tons of pictures uploaded here and elsewhere that were taken with the XS. They often have links to the original pictures, not downgraded.

True, but many samples found aren’t posted at full resolution. Some are, but not all.

timh

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
Yes, its a big difference. even compared to the 8 its a big step up. there is more information in the shadows. there is a greate article on dpreview.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.