Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Let's have a look what Apple had promised
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 2.21.21 AM.jpg

And what Apple actually delivered
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 2.23.17 AM.jpg

Translation: Half of customers are pissed off. I think they are really redefining the number of unimpressed users of OS X.

Now with the new incoming Sierra release where the emphasis on performance is not even close to El Capitan at WWDC, I fear my doubt will be a reality.

By the way I really love what they did for watchOS 3 and I can already imagine my user experience with my Apple watch is definitely going to be way better.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Happy people usually don't report on it, BTW. But, yes, El Capitan was a bit unsatisfying, and Sierra? Big lame duck.

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
People who are satisfied generally leave far less reviews than people who are not satisfied.
This is true. But the bias could be largely eliminated when comparing ratings for one release to that for another. If you recall, the landscape of ratings for Mavericks (4 stars maybe? and one-star-rating were clearly not the most one) was a lot better than El Capitan.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Please can you explain how you have drawn that conclusion from the data you have presented?

Or did you just pick 50% because it was easy to type?

If you take 2 stars or worse to be 'pissed off' then the numbers do actually work out to roughly half.

That said, applying any sort of value to those numbers is nothing short of idiotic.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
View attachment 635559

View attachment 635560
Translation: Half of customers are pissed off. I think they are really redefining the number of unimpressed users of OS X.

Now with the new incoming Sierra release where the emphasis on performance is not even close to El Capitan at WWDC, I fear my doubt will be a reality.

By the way I really love what they did for watchOS 3 and I can already imagine my user experience with my Apple watch is definitely going to be way better.
Or rather, half the people who bothered to comment are pissed off, likely for reasons that don't apply to me anyway.

I am happy with El Capitan. Granted, I don't use all of the new features, but split-screen and tabbed finder have proven to be quite useful.

As with any new software update, I will give all the new features a go and see how they can be integrated into my workflow.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
If you take 2 stars or worse to be 'pissed off' then the numbers do actually work out to roughly half.
But these are respondents/reviewers - not total number of El Capitan users. And of those respondents/reviewers you do not know what percentage are "pissed off" unless they explicitly say so. That doesn't equate to "half of customers are pissed off" which is made up BS.

And, as others have said, reviews usually tend to be skewed towards the negative due to the nature of human behaviour.

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Please can you explain how you have drawn that conclusion from the data you have presented?

Or did you just pick 50% because it was easy to type?

I simply get the 50% by counting the number of 1-star and 5-star ratings. To be honest, it's a exaggeration to say 50% since happy users are not as prone to leave a rating as unhappy ones. But again as I said in a reply of this thread, my calculation does make sense when you use the same way to calculate the unhappy percentage of other major releases.

That said, applying any sort of value to those numbers is nothing short of idiotic.

You can just take my post as a way of saying the number of unhappy users are so high that Apple's promise looks like a joke.

Did you actually read the low star reviews for El Capitan?

It's different for every country, but in mine it's stuff like "1 Star, what happened to my wonderful 3D dock?"

You really can't read much into star ratings, you have to read the text.

It was true when El Capitan was first released. But now it's on 10.12.5 and reviews have become much more mature and sophisticated. I am talking about reviews in US mac app store and when I sort by "most critical", it looks like this on page 5
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 12.36.37 PM.jpg

It's true that most 1-star reviews have little value in them, but you can't deny 4+ star apps do exist and in apples own case, 4+ star OS X did existed in the past. Put the ratings in perspective or you will be getting a absurd conclusion that there is no difference in 3, 4, 5-star software, and the whole rating system is meaningless.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Really? It's an Operating System for crying out loud. All I need it to do it provide a quick and stable platform for running applications. I'd be more than happy to loose some of the 'features' Apple provide as generally the 3rd party ones are better.

It sounded like this is where Apple is heading from the Keynote, which is fine by me. For what it's worth, macOS DP1 is running fine on my iMac :D

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
View attachment 635559

View attachment 635560

I've been fine with El Capitan. I never left a review.

Some of the features of Sierra scare me a bit though - mainly the iCloud Drive storage saving feature...there is no way that could go wrong...That plus APFS. I want to like it and it sounds awesome on paper, but given Apple's software fumbles in the past I'm not so sure I can trust it over HFS+, even if it is way better.

Reactions: navaira

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Can this thread be closed now? It was never going anywhere from the OP, and that has shown to be true.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It is the first developer review, so its not going to have the full bells, whistles and stability.

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I've been fine with El Capitan. I never left a review.

And it's very likely you never left a review for Mavericks and somehow Mavericks, for which apple didn't stress experience, got higher rating than El Cap. And from this comparison I have drawn the conclusion that Apple's so called "refined experience" sounds ironic. Yes, human nature usually makes reviews tend to be skewed towards the negative, but isn't human nature hold the same for other versions of OS X (Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks)?

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
I haven't tried the developer preview yet but I am honestly disappointed by WWDC in general this year.

What I'd really love to see is something meaningful, like OpenGL 4.5 or Vulkan support. Granted I think both are fairly unlikely coming from Apple, especially as they'd much rather push technologies like Metal.

Regarding the reviews, I wouldn't worry too much. The vast majority of El Capitan users are satisfied and simply don't bother to leave reviews - I'm one of them.

Reactions: denisvj

Queen6

macrumors G4
Open minded towards Sierra, El Capitan was a disaster for me, time will tell. Apple has promised a lot with Sierra, personally I would just settle for things working on the official release date, and not taking best part of a year to fix, lets see in the autumn.

Q-6

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
Um...

The El Capitan version whose ratings you posted has 700 ratings and a 3-star average.

All versions (edit: which I can only assume include OS versions before El Capitan) have just under 17000 ratings... And a 3-star average.

Unless you're saying there's a more even distribution on those 17k ratings I'm not seeing a statistical trend here.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Reactions: typicaluser

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Some truth in that, but https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibooks-author/id490152466?mt=12 shows that some Apple software can inspire hundreds of users to leave positive reviews.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-unarchiver/id425424353?mt=12 third party software with thousands of reviews, 4.5 stars.
This is what exactly I attempted to mean. Thanks for showing people that there are highly praised software either from Apple itself or third party and it's achievable.

Reactions: grahamperrin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.