Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
By coincidence I found several big folders in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup. Some of these folders are several gigabytes big and several years old.

What are these folders and why are some of them so old? Can I delete the olders ones?

Reactions: Clau rodriguez

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
By coincidence I found several very big files in Big folders in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup. Some of these folders are several gigabytes big and several years old.

What are these folders and why are some of them so old? Can I delete the olders ones?
Those are your iOS device backup files. If they're old and you have newer versions, you can delete them with no problem.

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
Those are your iOS device backup files. If they're old and you have newer versions, you can delete them with no problem.

Is it the WHOLE iPhone / iPad etc backed up?

As I still have backups from 2011, could I restore my iPhone to it's 2011 state?
With iso 4 etc?!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is it the WHOLE iPhone / iPad etc backed up?

As I still have backups from 2011, could I restore my iPhone to it's 2011 state?
With iso 4 etc?!

It's only your data. You can't restore an old version of iOS this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.