Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Hey guys, could really use some help. Finder is on the fritz. I've tried relaunching it and restarting multiple times, but doesn't fix it. The thumbnails for new screenshots placed on the desktop won't load. When I try to open anything on the desktop, I just endlessly get the beachball. So for some reason my entire Desktop folder seems to be unusable. Which is incredibly problematic, actually. And I have gotten Finder to open once or twice after relaunching it, but most of the time the Finder window won't even open at all and I cannot access any of my files as a result!

I only have one clue as to what may have happened but don't know how to fix it. Minutes before this problem started, I had a folder in my trash that I wanted to delete but I was getting a message when emptying it saying that something in the folder was locked and it wouldn't allow me to delete it. There were thousands of files in the folder so it wasn't practical to go one by one to see which was locked. So I opened the Terminal and used “sudo rm -rf ” to delete that specific folder with the file path pointing to that folder in the trash. The files in that folder were just aviation charts. I don't see how anything system related could have been in that folder I sudo killed. But now my Desktop doesn't work so it must be connected somehow.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I can correct this? I would be incredibly appreciative.

EDIT: Magically, this just corrected itself. No idea how. But after about an hour of having this problem, POOF, went away. Maybe these new M2 Macs have AI in them and are self-correcting lol.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.