Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L8Bloomer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
West Coast, Canada
I was so excited to learn that we in Canada could finally rent movies, but after hours of trying last night I am now frustrated and angry. I tried to rent well over a dozen movies and got one of three answers:

"The item you are trying to rent is no longer available"
"This item is currently being modified"
"This movie is not available at Canadian iTunes store"

The only transaction that was successful was purchasing Ghostbusters. Good movie but I really didn't want to pay $10 for it. I was desperate to see if anything would work! Meanwhile there are lots of movies I want to rent but cannot.

So what is going on here? Am I the only one with this problem?:mad:

reidjr

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
I was so excited to learn that we in Canada could finally rent movies, but after hours of trying last night I am now frustrated and angry. I tried to rent well over a dozen movies and got one of three answers:

The only transaction that was successful was purchasing Ghostbusters. Good movie but I really didn't want to pay $10 for it. I was desperate to see if anything would work! Meanwhile there are lots of movies I want to rent but cannot.

Via apple tv i did the following.

Rented) Ap vs Preadator
Bought)The eye
Bought)The cottage

No issues at all.

L8Bloomer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
West Coast, Canada
Could this be a regional thing?

I've checked that I have the latest iTunes (7.6.2).
I've just updated my AppleTV software.

Still I'm getting these damn messages about the item no longer being available blah blah blah.

ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North

had no problems in toronto last night. rented "national treasure 2" hd and went without a hitch. but then again, it's the only one i downloaded so far. will try more tonight and will post any concerns.

good luck.

L8Bloomer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
West Coast, Canada
Okay, so I tried to do this via my computer using iTunes. Most of the movies come up with only an option to buy. I was able to successfully rent "I Am Legend" - which I was not able to do with my AppleTV. But so far all the movies I want to rent are only showing up as "buy" options on iTunes (eg: Michael Clayton, The Water Horse). Some, like The Golden Compass, aren't even showing up as movies (soundtracks, yes, movie no).

Are there restrictions on which movies are available to rent in Canada? Could it be that all the ones I'm interested in just happen to be "buy only" movies?

The plot thickens....

L8Bloomer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
West Coast, Canada
OKAY, PROBLEM SOLVED.

My ATV iTunes settings had USA checked off for location. When I changed it to Canada I found that most movies are not available for rental here. Many are available to buy, some not even that. But at least I don't feel the frustration of not knowing whether a rental transaction will go through.

It sucks that our choice is so limited, but then again we do get 48 hrs to watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.