Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcampo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2021
I've mentioned this problem before as a reply, but because of the misspelled thread title, I guess this remains unfindable

But I think for some professionals this information might be important/relevant. I've had a specific problem since the update to 11.6.2 - which includes some ColorSync Changes for securioty reasons. On two updated Macs, virtually all CMYK profiles are no longer displayed / nor made available system-wide. But only since the update with a Colorsync change, among other things. The RGB profiles are NOT affected by this.

I tried everything, even a reinstall of 11.6.2 via the recovery partition (11.6.2 DMG), safeboot, nvram, unfortunately without success.
Then I reproduced the problem on our old Mac Pro, which conveniently still contained a virgin 11.6 Big Sur installation. There we inserted our Xerox profiles, which were also recognized and made available.

We upgraded these to 11.6.2 - and unfortunately the same problem occurred there as well. Our profiles were gone - but funnily enough, so was the default CMYK profile from Apple itself, see screenshots.

An additional update to Monterey 12.1 then solved the problem, the CMYK profiles are visible again. BUT: to macos Monterey I still have no confidence (T2 and firmware problems), which is why I want to stay with Big Sur, for now. Which is difficult without CMYK profiles, at least for me ...

>>>> So at this point I can only warn everyone not to install 11.6.2, because we could reproduce the problem on two devices (the old Mac Pro and an iMac i9/5K of 2019) with three installations. If you rely on various professional CMYK profiles in PrePress, you'd better skip this update, maybe a fix is coming!

Addendum: We use Chronosync to keep profiles in sync on multiple Macs, so all Macs access the same profiles in the same structures in the same locations. And yes, the permissions for those directories and profiles are clean and correct/unchanged).

Since we rewrite our printer profiles twice a year, we had the opportunity to test rewrite our CMYK profiles based on old profiles/measurements. With interesting results: While our previous version 4 (standard) profiles did not work, the slightly leaner rewritten profiles with the outdated version 2 were recognized without any problems. (we profile with i1 Profiler).

1-Updating to 11.6.2 -  2021-12-24 um 15.35.14.jpg

2-4C-Profile-weg-BigSur-11.6.2-  2021-12-24 um 15.54.14.jpg

3-4C-Profile-Monterey-12.1- 2021-12-25 um 15.29.17.jpg

marcampo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2021
Just an update on that. The situation remains the same with the newest 11.6.3 MacOS softwareupdate. Most CMYK profiles (as important ones of eci.org) are NOT available, neither in apps nor systemwide (reproduced meanwhile on 6 normally Big Sur supported devices, not only this outdated OC Mac Pro 5,1).

So this issue wasn't fixed this time. Be aware of that if you're stuck with Big Sur for some reasons (e.g. you have an 2013 Macbook Air). Its not the printer, its not the macbook, its not you, its just the 11.6.3 colorsync which sucks.

Monterey 12.1 and 12.2 dont have this issues, the cmyk profiles work flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.