Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drexel99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Annapolis, MD
in Catalina there was a discrete button the mail notification banner to delete the mail from the banner. its a pulldown in Big Sur and the default is reply. Any way to change that to delete?

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Yeah unnecessary step. Basic Human Interface mistake. More steps is a big no no. I miss the delete on notification sign.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
For this reason I don't like Big Sur. Whose brilliant idea was it to disable quick one click delete?

Reactions: jgbr

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
As I have got more into using Big Sur,m I'ver realised how annoying it is and longer to click the option and action.

I wonder if Apple Dev's need to be reminded that we need the minimum amount of interactions to do something! Basic HCI (human-computer interaction) stuff!

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Well also the little dismiss button X in the corner isn't that great tbh.

I wish I could go back to Mojave.

Reactions: edhchoe

agentzero9

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
This is a big fail on apple's part it's a wonder if the programmers even use these machines on a daily basis.

Reactions: edhchoe

patrickplaggenborg

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Yes it's very annoying not to be able to close a Notification in Big Sur easily.

- It's unintuitive as there is no visual hint where to close the notification, which takes energy to remember
- You need to hover the top right corner of a notification which takes time
- The appearing close button (X) is way too small so I need to aim which is extra friction
- I often times click next to it for it to open the relevant app (Calendar in my case) which is annoying because that takes time, and I need to close that app again.
- When I miss click or click to open the notification (banner) remains in place. Which forces you to use the small close button anyway

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
just adding to my frustration about this as well..... its so non-intuitive... and just added an extra layer of annoyance... i wonder if there is a terminal command to change it (unlikely)

Reactions: patrickplaggenborg

randolorian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2011
This is the only thing I don't like about Big Sur. Definitely a regression in usability.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I use my iPhone to delete.
big sur is no good for deleting junk mail.
No bueno

makeitrainnaren

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2020
Do not disturb and night shift were accessible by two finger swiping to get notification center, and then dragging up with 2 fingers would show toggles. Now I have to manually go to each tab on the menu bar to get to each

Reactions: patrickplaggenborg

Jashue

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2014
Syracuse
I searched for this thread just to see if it was only me that is disgusted by the now missing feature.
Glad I'm not alone. It's a very small detail that has a huge impact on my day-to-day experience with my Mac.
What were they thinking?

AdamJD

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Yup, this is some dumb ? - almost equivalent to the Apple Mail sort-by-columns removal in Catalina! ? How does this type of ridiculousness make it all the way to release!?!?

johnjohns

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2022
I loved this feature when it was added. I used it constantly. I couldn't believe it was changed to a two step process in Big Sur and remains that way in Monterey. I just hopped on an old Mojave machine for the day and was loving having the one-click-delete back. It seriously improves my workflow. Does anyone use the Archive button? Delete and Archive should not have equal billing.

Reactions: Baheej

Baheej

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2023
Jerusalem / NYC / TLV
I had to create an account just to post on this topic...

For the love of everything holy, why would they remove this feature?!

Does anyone have a workaround or an alternative mail client they'd like to suggest?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.