Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Installed Big Sur on Early 2015 MBP, upgrading from Mojave. I was looking forward to AirPods Pro automatically switching between my iPhone and Mac. Instead, I lost functionality. I can manually connect the AirPods to the Mac, but it doesn't output sound to them and disconnects them after several seconds. I can't select any other sound output device, including Bluetooth devices and AppleTvs. The only sound output that works is the MBP internal speakers.

Apple Support said they have received similar reports regarding not being able to output to Bluetooth devices, but the same issue with AppleTV is new to them. I can mirror my screen to the AppleTV, which will send video and audio to the Apple TV, but I can't send audio only.

Anyone else have similar issues or a solution? Naturally, I've done all the troubleshooting steps, to no avail.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
I tried connecting to my Bose soundlink mini which would always connect instantaneously on Catalina, and it took a good few minutes of disconnecting and connecting, changing outputs to get it to finally work. There’s definitely something wrong there.

Hog Milanese

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Austin
I was about to post the same thing. I've encountered two similar issues:
  1. MacBook Air using Screen Mirroring to Apple TV -> Sound won't transfer from MacBook Air to Apple TV. You can only get audio from the MacBook Air.
  2. iPhone connected through MacBook Air for phone call -> Sound won't transfer from iPhone to MacBook Air/connected headset. You can only get audio for the call on the iPhone.

Macrumorsss

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2018
I just purchased a new MacBook Air M1 that comes with BigSur and have encountered the same issue. Very buggy indeed.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
May 16, 2008
I have an update, with good news about the audio/Bluetooth issue. After extensive contact with Apple Support, we discovered the solution to my problem. As it turns out, years ago I had installed the Airfoil app, by Rogue Amoeba. I removed it some time ago, but I forgot to remove a plugin that it had installed. I removed the plugin and my Bluetooth/audio issue was immediately resolved.

If you have Airfoil installed on Big Sur, uninstall it. Even if it's uninstalled, go to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins and check to see if there is a folder called HAL, and within it, a folder called InstantOn.driver. If so, delete the InstantOn.driver folder, then restart your Mac. By the way, this also applies to any other audio related apps by Rogue Amoeba.

I hope this helps someone!

aka-tony

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2021
Thanks for sharing. I'am working with Rogue Amoeba products such as fission and audio hijack but there is no InstantON.Driver on my Mac. Any idea. The audio issue is driving me crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.