Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2022
I have used both Monterey and Ventura but have gone back to Big Sur.

Those later versions have not introduced any features that are useful (to me), only more bugs.

For example there are zero tap-to-click issues in Big Sur.

What do you think?

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
Big Sur works great for me via OCLP. I'll switch to Monterey once Big Sur gets its final security update.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
"The last good one" is a sliding scale that slowly increments with each new version, it's not an actual accurate thing.

When Big Sur was new people were pining for older.

Reactions: Insidious

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2022
Big Sur works great for me via OCLP. I'll switch to Monterey once Big Sur gets its final security update.
I will do the same. If Catalina had still gotten security updates I would have used it since I like the old UI better.

Reactions: Insidious

TheEnthusiast

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
For me, the last "proper" release was Mavericks, which I used up until Firefox stopped providing updates for its ESR browser. However, of the currently supported macOS versions, I agree that Big Sur is the best. I really wish Apple had a long-term OS geared towards those who prefer functionality because Ventura and Monterey did not have nearly enough to warrant a version upgrade.

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
For me, the last "proper" release was Mavericks, which I used up until Firefox stopped providing updates for its ESR browser. However, of the currently supported macOS versions, I agree that Big Sur is the best. I really wish Apple had a long-term OS geared towards those who prefer functionality because Ventura and Monterey did not have nearly enough to warrant a version upgrade.
…and for me, Mojave! However, Big Sur is running fine on my… ahem… desktop Hackintosh machine. I still prefer Mojave because it’s easier to play « under the hood » as from Catalina onwards, the OS is more and more « closed » by Apple.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Mavericks, Mojave and Big Sur were all good for me. (Still running BS) Heck, Big Sur might even be better than Mojave now (but it was definitely glitchy early on in the cycle)

All the new features since BS are imo, just gimmicks and extra emojis so for me, they have serve no purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.