Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i've noticed that intels newer processors are in stores now. i wonder if anyone has tried folding with them?

i've read that some of these processors have been overclocked to near 5 ghz, but i can't find anything about folding with them

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Not sure about i5, but fast i7 with 4 real cores plus 4 virtual ones can run bigadv. But SMP2 is pretty good, so you need a real fast i7 to get enough bonus to be worth it.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Not sure about i5, but fast i7 with 4 real cores plus 4 virtual ones can run bigadv. But SMP2 is pretty good, so you need a real fast i7 to get enough bonus to be worth it.

well how do you think an i5 650 would do with the SMP2? stock is 3.2 ghz - but i've read they are easily overclocked to well over 4 ghz on air

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
will any amd quads do it?

I have a couple of AMD quads and I know they would not be able to handle bigadv units, though it is possible the new chips might work ok. AMD don't have 2 threads per core, so the OS thinks there are only 4 cores instead of the 8 with Intel chips. My phenom II x4 965 did really well with regular units under Linux but now that I have 3 gpu's on it with windows - not so much...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I have a couple of AMD quads and I know they would not be able to handle bigadv units, though it is possible the new chips might work ok. AMD don't have 2 threads per core, so the OS thinks there are only 4 cores instead of the 8 with Intel chips. My phenom II x4 965 did really well with regular units under Linux but now that I have 3 gpu's on it with windows - not so much...

have you tried SMP2 in windows yet with it?

yeah i'm thinking i'll just wait on another system for now. it really stinks that all my folders are down back at my apartment :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.