Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Not all applications are the same for iPad and iPhone. Some, like ABC Player, AIM, TweetDeck, Twitterlator, WSJ, NY Times, AP News are drastically different. I agree stuff like NFS, Fieldrunners, etc. are essentially the same app with higher res graphics but you can't just push aside the developers who actually added UI elements and iPad only features to their apps. SketchBook Pro and Brushes are good examples.

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
I paid 15 bucks for comic reader mobi and I don't regret it it makes me put my millions of comics and mangas and read them, so why would I be cheap and not pay? Seems most people think everything should be free, if you want free wait for ads on your apps.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
I don't think 10 bucks is too much on principal, but I do think it is too much for a lot of these games when I consider that a lot of downloadable games on my PS3 are $10 and are offering me a whole lot more in terms of graphics and the overall experience. I know that the iPad is a lot less powerful than the PS3, and I also know that we are dealing with the very first crop of software for a new platform, so my expectations aren't that high. I think within a year we'll start to see games that really deserve the high price tag. Right now I think only a couple might be worth it, but I certainly haven't bought them.

To put things in perspective, Super Monkey Ball was $9.99 when it debuted on the iPhone a couple years ago or so... and I was one of the people who bought it. I hated the game almost instantly, so I am loathe to make that mistake again. That said, $10 games debut for the iPhone every week, and people buy them at that price, so ultimately I think complaining about paying the same price for software that costs the developer even more money to make is a bit myopic.

I am all about reduced pricing for apps I already bought for my iPhone though... I definitely think the developer/publisher should knock a few bucks off the price for the iPad version.

fpsphil

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
I'm in no way asking for free apps. I just think that developers should at least give a discount or a free upgrade to the iPad version of their apps. Yes developers put a lot of work into their applications but we the customers deserve some respect too.

Hopefully the prices will go down over time but for right now im staying away from buying any of those apps

ashVID

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Here is a perfect analogy for you. Own any DVDs? Now that Bluray is prominent, shouldn't they have to give you the BR disc? I mean, it's the same movie right? Just because things are not on physical media does not mean they have no cost.

That said, the smartest developers will start to offer coupons/discounts to current customers.

ash =o)

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I agree way too expensive, it's no like you want to only buy a few apps. You will be able to buy another iPad after a few months of buying apps. Not good enough.

Spudracer

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2009
Geez why all the whining? I downloaded...

Some basic functionality stuff
  • Pages & Numbers for $10 each to evaluate word processing and spreadsheets on a touch device. I know I wont use them much but I was curious.
  • iBooks - fantastic free app
  • Brushes - stunning for $10
  • Fax Print & Share - pretty cheap at $6

Tons of news for free
  • USA Today - free
  • BBC News - free
  • NPR - free
  • Wall Street Journal - free
  • New York Times - free
  • Bloomberg - free

Some free entertainment
  • Netflix - free
  • abc - free
  • IMDb - free

Games, one each...board game, racing, role playing/puzzle, and first person shooter for evaluation.
  • Scrabble - meh for $10
  • Real Racing HD - pretty damned nice for $10
  • Otto Matic - pretty damned nice once again for $10
  • Duke Nukem - a old standby FPS for $5, who can complain.

Gotta have the food apps
  • Epicurious - free, nice app
  • 170000 Recipes for $4.99, not bad

A couple of good books to evaluate the Apple eReader
  • 2 iBooks for $12.99 and $9.99 both were very well done in iBooks format.

For $99 total I think I got a heck of a lot of value. No whining here. Kudos to all the developers and a big thanks for all the innovation and hard work.

RMDI

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
Let me tell you as a developer: It is not easy!

If you read in the last two months the blogs of Mac/iPhone-Developers you would have noticed, that they polished the hell out of their apps. You can bet they worked their asses of to get the best experience for the iPad. Don't be cheap and show them some love.

And while "Universal Apps", which detect if they run on an iPhone or an iPad are cool, this is not always the right way to go. Perhaps the project and development is cleaner to split it up. Or there are tons of unnecessary stuff like high res Textures which blows an App over the 20 MB 3G limit (this limit is affecting downloads in a big way).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.