Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I think people will buy Vista and realize it is no different than XP. I also think that people will never use the Sidebar and will get sick of Windows 3D. Those are things that help in marketing, but are actually not very useful. But Sidear is actually ok, but it won't be as popular as dashboard is with OSX.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
It is a better version of Windows then any of the other ones, but it really does look like a rip-off of OS X in a lot of ways. (Although it does have some interesting new fatures)

I don't know, it might be enough to drive someone from OS X to Windows, but the majority of us see it as "just another pane in the glass.:)

kashimo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2004
Japan
People in Japan are buying into the Vista BS. They actually are lining up at stores to buy it. People are buying new computers just to support it.

Gates said the same thing about Windows 95. I remember watching him on the Today show back in 95 and thinking...this guy is feeding the world BS. Guess what...the world bought his BS then and they will buy it now.

"Really listened to users." No...You saw what Apple was doing and decided to copy it.

"Works on any reasonably modern machine" meaning...Get a new machine or you can't use it.

Oh ... love the last statement... "Microsoft and NBC are joint partners on the MSNBC website." I wonder....would we ever see Steve Jobs promoting OSX on MSNBC? Heck would we ever see Jobs going around like this?

Man I wish Apple would really nail Microsoft in Japan. The other day I met someone who said, "I thought Apple didn't make computers anymore." He hasn't seen the "Getamac" Japan commercials yet. I saw Vista commercials on every channel over the last few days. "Getamac" was on one network and it was the same commercial each time.

I have a horrible feeling that MS will launch Zune in Japan and with the marketplace selling TV and movies before Apple gets anything.

Rant finished.

holamiamigos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2006
i don't know why but i have the strangest curiousity in it.... i mean i love osx, but i just wanna try it to see before i make any judgements

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Gates is suck a F'n Lyer!!

Vista is much better than anything apple has out! :rolleyes:

You know if i ever met this dumb ass id probably spend the night/year in jail! :p

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
At the end of the day, people are:

1. Still tired of clunky, ugly boxes.

2. Tired of viruses, malware and spyware bringing their systems to their knees.

3. Tired of the limited "Life" apps that Windows ships with.

4. Fed up with a hard to use, outdated OS.

The eye candy and temporary hype will be short lived and people will continue to switch over to Mac. Like Steve Jobs said, over 50% of all Mac purchases in the last quarter were new Mac users.

Not that Mac will ever be the dominant OS, but the word has gotten out.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Say what you want...

I'm running Vista right now on a home built PC, and I really like it. The media center is really awesome, and it seems even faster than XP. The backup utility is very useful, and the eye candy is pleasing. I really don't have anything to complain about, besides the fact that a few third party applications are waiting to be updated.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
notice how he never answered one of katie's questions!

not even her joke question at the very end!

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Someone needs to tell him to stop talking with his hands. I can't remember much that he said, but I do remember his distracting hand waving (when i watched it early this morning)...

oceanmonster

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
WHAT!!! Hasn't OS X had built in Parental Controls for YEARS!

Great Software? I don't see iLife in VISTA!!!

What? Vista is the most secure OS. Wait a second. OS X has been the most secure OS since its debut.

And bill gates talking about Internet Revolutionizing the Television. Hasn't Apple been doing that for years with the iTunes store

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
That was a nice "pro Windows" interview, now watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart tonight to see Gates in what i assume will be a much less... planned interview shall we say :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
WHAT!!! Hasn't OS X had built in Parental Controls for YEARS!
Yes Mac OS X has Parental controls.

However, if you listen to BG, he specifically states things such as controlling the times when someone can access their account (use the computer), he talks of game ratings and control. So it seems that Vista is much more robust in their implementation.

Additionally, IMHO, Parental Controls setup in Mac OS X is terrible. It does not seem very Apple like to me. It is clunky and not flexible, nor can you really set specifics or limitations easily.

Not saying that Vista will be all that much better, but it does look like it has some Parental control features that Mac OS X does not.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA

However, if you listen to BG, he specifically states things such as controlling the times when someone can access their account (use the computer), he talks of game ratings and control. So it seems that Vista is much more robust in their implementation.

Additionally, IMHO, Parental Controls setup in Mac OS X is terrible. It does not seem very Apple like to me. It is clunky and not flexible, nor can you really set specifics or limitations easily.

Not saying that Vista will be all that much better, but it does look like it has some Parental control features that Mac OS X does not.
Parental Controls are being improved significantly in Leopard, and I believe it includes the ability to control screen time.

oceanmonster

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007

True, but what i meant is that he can't say that Vista is the first OS with parental controls because that is a lie. OS X has had them "Built In" in the OS. Even if they aren't the best controls, they have been "Built In"

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
every time he mentions a feature, what goes through my mind is "doesn't tiger already have everything he's mentioned?":D ;) :p

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
That was a nice "pro Windows" interview, now watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart tonight to see Gates in what i assume will be a much less... planned interview shall we say :)

haha yes I'm so excited for that... let's hope I finish my homework in time :rolleyes:

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Parental Controls are being improved significantly in Leopard, and I believe it includes the ability to control screen time.
That would be nice. Do you know this for sure?

True, but what i meant is that he can't say that Vista is the first OS with parental controls because that is a lie. OS X has had them "Built In" in the OS. Even if they aren't the best controls, they have been "Built In"
Fair enough. I sit corrected! ;)

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
just watched it a second time and need to elaborate on some comments.

gates notes that windows has all the great software advancements. i didn't really see too much advancement in the current windows applications, just more garbage, although there are a few good new programs on there. the mac seems to be winning in the software advancement category right now, especially with all the software available for free or low cost (under $100). and last i looked, windows doesn't have an ilife equivalent in software that is so easy to use. the movie maker for example isn't that great, but i can go on and on about this. there may be more applications on windows, but i say 90% is garbage. but he is right about the better games and more hardware choices and cheaper hardware being on windows. but linux can use cheaper hardware, it's like it never exists in this interview.

he also said vista is the most secure os ever. i think he forgot to say windows in that statement. from what i hear, windows was originally built for single use, while unix, which mac os x is from, was used for lots of users. unix has been more secure for years, and designed for security. and if vista is the most secure os ever, why do we have like dozens of viruses for it already? and also for the mac security through obscurity theory, wouldn't you think that macs would have at least a few viruses by now, as there is a significant number of mac users now? none that i heard of.

and gates seems a bit in the past when he talks about the future...we can do some of the things now, but we aren't all the way there yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.