Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gallico916

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2014
Austin, TX
Hey

Need the help of this community.

Have a client with a mixed evniormnet of Mac and Windows 8.1 Pro.
He wants to install OS X server (latest version on Sierra) and run the domain from it.

OS X runs on the Open Directory and windows on Active Directory
Here is my question: Can you bind Windows 8.1 Pro to an OS X server to be part of the domain?

Regards
G.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Without checking, my gut says no. Open Directory and Active Directory are completely different systems. Macs support both; I don't think Windows does.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hey

He wants to install OS X server (latest version on Sierra) and run the domain from it.

Here is my question: Can you bind Windows 8.1 Pro to an OS X server to be part of the domain?

Regards
G.
Really, your client would probably be better off having a server running Active Directory and authenticating the Macs to that.
You'll only be able to use the Open Directory server to work as an LDAP directory and authenticate users using pGina. http://pgina.org
Because you'll only be using LDAP rather than the full directory service, you're not going to be able to do any sort of configuration from the Mac server. pGina hasn't been updated in quite a while so I'm not sure how active the development is. I last used it with Windows 7 so I know it works there but I'm not sure how reliable it'll be with newer versions of Windows.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Hey

Regards
G.
You used to be able to do this without a fuss. I posted as much then had to edit. They killed that in Lion Server.

I don't know how much the cheapest windows server version is going for, but I'm sure you can get an inexpensive box to be the PDC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.