Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Many blast this guy. But I feel the same way.

I've bought many 'premium' titles and do prefer it. Every Infinity Blade on release day, FTL, The Room, Plague Inc, Broken Age, Galaxy on Fire 2, etc etc.

But this port... that I've already played... that is graphics reduced... and controller handicapped... just does not excite. I didn't buy the GTA's either for the same reason.

A sub-par adaptation of an experience I've already had... is not enticing.

So you're saying that the work of bringing a console game to an iOS device just doesn't warrant spending more than a dollar? And people wonder why console games rarely come to iOS.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I would say the reverse: BETTER with touch than with a console controller. IF the controls are done well, which can be done for an IOS touch-based FPS. (Aiming in the NOVA series for instance, and others that take a less traditional control approach.)

To each their own, of course—people learn to live with console controllers in FPS games. They love them! I know that. But here's why I say it could (and should) be better:

• Console controllers have always been the wrong solution for FPSs. A necessary evil to deliver a popular genre. The precision of mouse—DIRECT aiming—is superior and just plain more fun. Joystick control is so much worse that FPS games use auto-aim to compensate. But I want to play a game myself, without training wheels. Having the game "play itself a little" to compensate for bad controls is just less fun. (Albeit comfortable in the hands, I will grant you! And the movement side of a controller can be superior to WASD; but aiming is far more central. Put it this way: WASD isn't bad enough to make the game auto-walk for you. Aiming on a stick IS that bad.)

• Example: try using a console joystick to navigate the an arrow cursor around your desktop computer screen (or even a game menu with giant targets). Awful. You wish for a real pointer. Aiming a weapon is the same thing.

• There are other ways to get the same direct level of aiming: a trackball, trackpad, gyroscopes, gestures, etc. If done well, the weapon moves the way you move—just as with a mouse.

• Swiping to aim the camera on a touchscreen is one such method. Direct aiming much like a very accurate trackpad, and equivalent to what you do with a mouse: Want to aim a little up? Move your thumb/finger/hand a little up. (Rather than nudging the joystick a little up, holding it just the right amount, and letting go at the right moment while auto-aim holds your hand.)

So, I consider mouse superior to touchscreen (a little), but both superior to a joystick—for aiming in an FPS.

This title could be great or a mess. I have hope!

What device people choose to buy this game for won't be a matter of how "serious" the gamer is about the Bioshock franchise (why does that matter?)—it will be about what device they use and have with them. And if it's an iPad, they'll be enjoying a nice sized screen with portability and sofa-comfort that a laptop can't match.

Dont have to tell me about controllers, I despise them. A good old keyboard and mouse is what I need for FPS. Anything else just falls short to me. I dont like the auto-aim features as it diminishes the accuracy training that Ive done and personally dont like the touch being ON the screen, it doesnt do it for me when I cant see the whole screen.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
A sub-par adaptation of an experience I've already had... is not enticing.

The par could be sub, yes. Awaiting reviews is always a good idea for a major purchase. But it could also be good.

And if it is, it will of course have the most value to those who have not played BioShock—which is a lot of people. (I'm a huge FPS fan myself and simply haven't made time to finish BioShock yet. When I do—I will use a mouse! But if I didn't already own the Mac version, iPad would tempt me: it's a lot easier to find time to grab 30 minutes here or there with my iPad, wherever I happen to be. That same portability will be welcomed by SOME who have already played it—if they want to play it again, maybe they also want freedom of where to play it. But they can't be the main market. BioShock newbies are.)

For those who love the game, what's not to like about it now reaching people who don't have a large-size gaming system and never will? Or who have one but find they never use it anymore and haven't tried Bioshock yet? I'm only partway through the game, but it's already good enough that I say it deserves whatever audience it can get!

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Not interested if it doesn't have a decent wireless controller. Ill also add, that Apple need to get a rocket up their behinds and get iOS onto a decent upgraded ATV so we can play these games on a decent sized telly. No brainer.

That would be awesome. Even better with a jailbreak and some emulators. It's too lame playing Majora's Mask on a PC.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Why?

Maybe when it goes free or $1 Ill take a look. Were talking a 20+ hour game.

You seriously think this entire game is worth at most $1 dollar? The gaming industry is going to disappear if everybody starts thinking like you.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
So you're saying that the work of bringing a console game to an iOS device just doesn't warrant spending more than a dollar? And people wonder why console games rarely come to iOS.

Yeah, because those console games don't work well on little handheld devices with no buttons and only a touch screen to work with. $1 is an exaggeration, but I wouldn't pay more than $8 for any of them.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple really needs to increase the file size limit for the App Store. Does anyone know if that's a technical limitation of iOS or just a policy?

The thing is we have these fancy 64-bit chips in the A7, and the A8 is just around the corner. Combine that with the new Bare Metal stuff in iOS 8 and you end up with quite a mobile gaming powerhouse, probably getting up to par with the 360 and PS3 but with more ram. But we're hampered by muddy textures in the tiny 2GB file sizes, even though these iPads are outputting resolution higher than 1080p.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think Apple should sell two models of Apple TV. There could be Apple TV 4 this autumn, which uses the older A7, 1GB of ram, with an App Store and mic for Siri. It would retail for $99 or $129 (might cost more because of increase in storage space for App Store, maybe 16GB locally). Then sell an Apple Gaming box that is essentially the same form factor as Apple TV. Maybe sell it in a few fun colors. Price it at $199-249 with a quad-core A8, 2GB of ram, and bluetooth controller support. Most importantly Apple should release first-party controllers. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out before Christmas from third-party vendors, but would love an Apple Controller because you know they would do it right. A lot of casual gamers would pick up such a console, and a lot of people who want an Apple TV but think "I may as well upgrade to the game box for my (kids/grandkids/etc)." I'd get one for my kid (if she was old enough) because the games on iOS are usually cheaper—and there are lots of kid friendly options available. Would be great to quickly switch between watching a movie and playing Minecraft or something while hanging out on the couch—while not ponying up for an Xbox One or PS4 and all the bloated interface and heat those machines put out.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah, because those console games don't work well on little handheld devices with no buttons and only a touch screen to work with. $1 is an exaggeration, but I wouldn't pay more than $8 for any of them.

Then I hope that companies that make console games continue to ignore iOS as a general rule. The base just doesn't want to make it worth it to them.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This.

I tried playing FPSes with a controller, it was a nightmare. Nothing beats keyboard+mouse combo. An emulated controller on a touch screen is even worse.

Agreed—D-pad is NOT the way to aim on iPad! Hopefully they will not try that nonsense! (A couple early iPhone FPSs tried that and it was the worst thing ever.) Direct touch is the way to go for aiming.

Now... I know that a controller is not always a nightmare for aiming. It's not, IF:

A) You take the time to get used to it. (Why would I? I have a Mac that can aim properly!) Millions have—and these games are FUN once you're used to them, clearly. Fun is what games are about, a big TV is fun too. I do not judge.

and B) You do not object to auto-aim training wheels. Again, I do not judge. But for me, that's unacceptable. Console controllers are awesome for driving... and third-person... but for aiming? No. I want to play the game myself. All myself. No built-in aimbot.

(I actually use a console controller most of the time with my Mac—and even for FPS games! But I hold it in my left hand and aim with the mouse. Best of both worlds.)

P.S. A console controller COULD have direct aiming. There have been designs/experiments with a trackball or trackpad, which would be awesome if the components are accurate enough. The Steam Controller design shows real promise in that way (at least on the aiming side).

P.P.S. You're right that touch can block some of the screen—but it can be done right and block very little (and not block the important central part ever). What you're left with is still a nicer view than conventional tiny handheld games.

Great points!

To the "touch screen beats real controllers" guy...you're doing to have a hard time convincing people of that, to put it mildly.

It's fine for certain types of games, maybe even roughly equal, but FPS and the like aren't those types of games LOL

I won't try to convince anyone who has already accepted indirect aiming + auto-aim. You're having fun, keep at it! But that's not most people... and even those people could get used to a new control system, if they already got used to the console mess.

But to convince anyone else.... done :p

Example: try using a console joystick to navigate the an arrow cursor around your desktop computer screen (or even a game menu with giant targets). Awful. You wish for a real pointer. Aiming a weapon is the same thing.

Or imagine using a little joystick to aim your actual weapon-arm in real life. So much worse than direct movement!

But you can get used to anything, eventually.... with a little auto-aim to make you think you are playing more than you are :eek: (For that matter, if you already accept auto-aim, the same can be done to relieve frustration on less-than-ideal touch game control schemes. I'd consider it a failing, but it's a solution that is out there.)

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think Apple should sell two models of Apple TV.

I was just thinking something similar. Apple's really squandering an opportunity if they don't start supporting programs on these things. They can easily put out hardware that beats anything but a PC or dedicated game console, and do it pretty cheap. I have no idea why they're allowing other companies to release umm...not so great versions of this when they could actually release a box (or boxes at multiple price points) that do this right.

Heck, sell one at $200 with 2GB, the newest version of Cyclone, whatever the best PowerVR graphics are and some reasonable storage.

HumpYourWayUp

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Europe
Why?

Maybe when it goes free or $1 Ill take a look. Were talking a 20+ hour game.

These awful people who don't spend money on anything.
Having a $600 Dollar phone, getting a coffee for $5 but spending money for an app is incomprehensible for them.... Awful... BUT maybe it is a person living in the basement of his parents with no income ....

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
... You want to pay $1 or less for over 20 hours of gameplay. That's insane. The typical rate is about $2/hour of gameplay. Some have lower prices, some hit $6/hour, but what you're saying is about 1/40th of a typical price. It'd be a complete steal at that price.

The other question is however what the game is "worth" on other platforms. I got Bioshock for $5 on Xbox 360, $10 on OS X, and you can find it even cheaper often. Since there's nothing "new" in this port it's worth questioning the price (whereas for me a game like, say, RealMyst Masterpiece Edition was worth buying the "same" game for the third time due to its visual overhaul and modern OS X compatibility.)

I do agree in general people seem to devalue the pure amount of time they get out of a game--compared to a book or movie you get waaaay more content, not to mention a replay value unlike static forms of media.

These awful people who don't spend money on anything.
Having a $600 Dollar phone, getting a coffee for $5 but spending money for an app is incomprehensible for them.... Awful... BUT maybe it is a person living in the basement of his parents with no income ....

But you're not paying $600 for that phone, you're probably paying $200 and then forgetting about the subsidies that you're paying through your phone bill.

People are fantastically bad at figuring out what things cost or should cost. That's why financial planners have jobs--because people literally cannot account for where they spend their money, and they fixate on weird things (that "expensive" $5 app) instead of what really eats up their money (such as that $5 coffee every day, eating out constantly, et al.)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The other question is however what the game is "worth" on other platforms. I got Bioshock for $5 on Xbox 360, $10 on OS X, and you can find it even cheaper often. Since there's nothing "new" in this port it's worth questioning the price (whereas for me a game like, say, RealMyst Masterpiece Edition was worth buying the "same" game for the third time due to its visual overhaul and modern OS X compatibility.)

I do agree in general people seem to devalue the pure amount of time they get out of a game--compared to a book or movie you get waaaay more content, not to mention a replay value unlike static forms of media.

Except you were able to get it at those prices because they were able to make back the cost of putting it on those devices before you bought it. The same can't be said about the new port of a game. I'm not saying spend 30$ as though it was a new game, not that iOS will ever have a game people would spend 30$ on, but paying 10-15$ wouldn't be completely unthinkable.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Fantastic to see these tiny devices taking on larger games, the evolution of mobile graphics is accelerating like never before and it's fascinating.

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
Apple really needs to increase the file size limit for the App Store. Does anyone know if that's a technical limitation of iOS or just a policy?

The thing is we have these fancy 64-bit chips in the A7, and the A8 is just around the corner. Combine that with the new Bare Metal stuff in iOS 8 and you end up with quite a mobile gaming powerhouse, probably getting up to par with the 360 and PS3 but with more ram. But we're hampered by muddy textures in the tiny 2GB file sizes, even though these iPads are outputting resolution higher than 1080p.

This

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

Has to be just a policy, and I agree. Maybe it was good in the early days to "train developers by force" to make mobile efficiency a priority, but it's time to lift the limit. (Some apps bypass it by downloading stuff later--but that's easier said than done too.)

There will still be an incentive not to use too much space: app size affects sales numbers. But if a dev wants to go all-out, they should be able to.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Then I hope that companies that make console games continue to ignore iOS as a general rule. The base just doesn't want to make it worth it to them.

Yeah, I'm not surprised they ignore them when people won't pay that much for apps. On every article about Nintendo avoiding iOS here, there is widespread bashing of Nintendo for not moving to iOS, but there are obviously very good reasons not to. No way they'd sell Mario Kart 8 or any game for $50 here, but now they're selling it for $50 plus hundreds of dollars of hardware to Wii U users, and they're getting people in their ecosystem instead of Apple's. They'd probably be forced to sell it for $5 on iOS, minus the 30% cut to Apple. Same goes with 3DS games. And the gaming experience hardware-wise on an iPhone is nowhere near that of a Nintendo console.

Last edited:

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Since they've got a successful handheld I don't think publishing on iOS necessarily makes sense for now.

I do think they need to dump their "big" console though and do multiplatform on PS4/One if they're not going to take having a console seriously. Wii was inane, Wii U is inane. They're both pointless, redundant pieces of hardware that only manage to roughly do what hardware from more than half a decade earlier did. Why spend billions selling it when you can just publish elsewhere?

I think the idea of giving up on a "big" console but creating a more powerful handheld that also plugs into a TV in some fashion might make sense for them to try first though. Nvidia's Shield tablet could practically be the Nintendo handheld in terms of hardware.

Basically though I think that current president is utterly incompetent. Every single system released under him has put gimmicks ahead of what's important for developers and games.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

The main limitation is space. I don't like the idea of having an SD card in an iPhone to store all my data, but it should be possible to use one just to store app data because iOS apps are static files, the same for every user, downloaded from Apple's servers when needed. Music files and such could get really cluttered if you could store them on SD cards, but apps would not.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah, I'm not surprised they ignore them when people won't pay that much for apps. On every article about Nintendo avoiding iOS here, there is widespread bashing of Nintendo for not moving to iOS, but there are obviously very good reasons not to. No way they'd sell Mario Kart 8 or any game for $50 here, but now they're selling it for $50 plus hundreds of dollars of hardware to Wii U users, and they're getting people in their ecosystem instead of Apple's. They'd probably be forced to sell it for $5 on iOS, minus the 30% cut to Apple. Same goes with 3DS games. And the gaming experience hardware-wise on an iPhone is nowhere near that of a Nintendo console.

Even if the experience would be the same, hardware wise, the big step is trying to ween people off of the idea that all apps should be 5$ or less.

----------

Since they've got a successful handheld I don't think publishing on iOS necessarily makes sense for now.

I do think they need to dump their "big" console though and do multiplatform on PS4/One if they're not going to take having a console seriously. Wii was inane, Wii U is inane. They're both pointless, redundant pieces of hardware that only manage to roughly do what hardware from more than half a decade earlier did. Why spend billions selling it when you can just publish elsewhere?

I think the idea of giving up on a "big" console but creating a more powerful handheld that also plugs into a TV in some fashion might make sense for them to try first though. Nvidia's Shield tablet could practically be the Nintendo handheld in terms of hardware.

Basically though I think that current president is utterly incompetent. Every single system released under him has put gimmicks ahead of what's important for developers and games.

The right gimmick will sell millions and make you billions.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Even if the experience would be the same, hardware wise, the big step is trying to ween people off of the idea that all apps should be 5$ or less.

Unfortunately for them, that would mean eliminating all those iOS game devs who keep making ≤$5 games. It seems like they're dumping. Bloons Tower Defense 4 is worth more to me than the $4 I paid for it. I find it unfair to small game developers especially. If you don't sell millions of them, you probably can't even cover your company's costs.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I don't know what it is, but I just can't play immersive games on a mobile device. The only one I sort of got into was The World Ends With You, but even then, I never finished it.

I like more arcade type games on mobile devices. I wish there were remakes of old Macintosh classics like Bachman, Quagmire, Sammy the Cyclebot, Joust, Sparx, Super Munchers, Slime Invaders... those were the days.

Xnator

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2014
IGN has the gameplay footage already!

http://youtu.be/7uKuqGv5sSU

And about the controllers versus mous/keyboard story. It's true that the mous/keyboard combo is the best. But I still prefer a controller in many ways. I am way more precise with a controller. Why? Because I grown up with a controller in my hand (not litterally ofc.) and not a mous and keyboard. Sometimes I play games like Battlefield 3 on the PC with a controller and still beating the **** out of everyone.

Sure I will lose against a pro but a pro pc user will also have a hard time against a pro controller user.

Fragtard

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
Love me some BioShock, but . . .

Not seeing this on iOS. I played the hell out of all the BioShock games on my 360, 42" TV, and 7.1 stereo. Can't imagine getting any where near the same experience on my iPad, much less iPhone.

Maybe it can gateway some other folks into the franchise, tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.