Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
A milestone.
One of the greatest game leaves older model behind.
This is a positive movement. Both developers and consumers should not be capped their new gadgets' spec by years older hardware.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
Why is your post full of so much logic? Stop making so much sense! :mad:

I can't help it ;)

But, jokes aside, this is just the tip of what is currently wrong with the game industry as a whole. As developing AAA games require so much financial resources, the investors tend to choose the "tried and proved" model. Meaning the financing discussions are a variation of "Oh, you want to make a game and you need money for it? Show me who has done it before and how much they made".

This leaves very little room for innovation and that's why, in my opinion, all the recent games look like carbon copies of each other.

The same goes for iOS gaming. Just yesterday, I was looking at this new Star Wars game on iOS. Even though there's a big company behind it, it's more or less a re-skin of Clash of Clans. Very sad indeed.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Next would be continuity. From iOS to Mac then Mac to iOS.

Me playing BioShock on iMac
Mom: Cmon honey we will be late.
Me: "Transfer the game to iPad" Fine!

I already do that with StarCraft 2 on my iPhone thanks to VNC.

Granted, it sucks having a framerate of 2 and no keyboard or mouse, but still, I have already done it. I actually feel inspired to make my own VNC software that has adjustable quality controls (IE, the ability to drop color depth or resolution for framerate) based on it... But I have too many projects I'm already working on now to take that on.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
There is no MFi controller support in this game. Confirmed with my Logitech PowerShell. Please don't post if you don't know.

According to the original Macrumors article, its supposed to support "bluetooth controllers", and it is also listed in MFigames.com, which is a master database of all MFi controller supported games.

Last edited:

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
According to the original Macrumors article, its supposed to support "bluetooth controllers", and it is also listed in MFigames.com, which is a master database of all MFi controller supported games.

I can assure you that it is not currently working with my non-Bluetooth, Mfi gamepad. Other games like Asphalt 8, Sonic 2 and Angry Birds Go are working with this pad. All settings have been checked, and double-checked.

It looks like the site referenced is misunderstanding the difference between a Bluetooth game controller and an Mfi controller.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Third generation iPad owner and this is the first time I've personally seen an incompatible app. It begins!!
Considering it's a game and originally made for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC it's no wonder that nothing but the latest iPad's can run it. It's like buying a laptop and then a few years down the line complaining that the latest Crysis, Unreal or Doom doesn't run well or at all.

The complaint may be valid if it was a regular use application like an office suite or even a new version of the OS, but this is a game and games aways tend to push the envelope of what's possible with the hardware that's available right now, and not what was available a few years ago.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Not for me. It's impressive that it's on a mobile but I just wouldn't be able to get around the lack of controller, or better still keyboard+mouse input. Bioshock is an incredibly immersive game. Putting it on a tiny display in low settings is going to kill the incredible atmosphere they created first time around.

I've been pushing for iCloud support across both Mac and iOS for years but for some reason, developers don't want to do it. I would absolutely love to see cross platform iCloud embraced one day.

Next would be continuity. From iOS to Mac then Mac to iOS.

Me playing BioShock on iMac
Mom: Cmon honey we will be late.
Me: "Transfer the game to iPad" Fine!

Cross-compatible games on PS3/PS4 and Vita do that and it's great. I wonder why it hasn't been adopted by others?

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Considering it's a game and originally made for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC it's no wonder that nothing but the latest iPad's can run it. It's like buying a laptop and then a few years down the line complaining that the latest Crysis, Unreal or Doom doesn't run well or at all.

The complaint may be valid if it was a regular use application like an office suite or even a new version of the OS, but this is a game and games aways tend to push the envelope of what's possible with the hardware that's available right now, and not what was available a few years ago.

I'm not complaining. Just an observation that this is my first peek at the inevitable.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
The game runs in pretty low resolution on my 5s. Just so people are aware; definitely NOT retina quality.

This is so disappointing. One of the things that made Bioshock so amazing was the stunning beauty of Rapture. Here's a video that shows a visual comparison. When you see it side by side with the 360 version it really shows how bad the iOS version looks.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
The game runs in pretty low resolution on my 5s. Just so people are aware; definitely NOT retina quality.

Are you sure you're not seeing results of scaling?

----------

This is so disappointing. One of the things that made Bioshock so amazing was the stunning beauty of Rapture. Here's a video that shows a visual comparison. When you see it side by side with the 360 version it really shows how bad the iOS version looks.

YouTube: video

Yeah, I'm sorry but that looks more than acceptable even though I'd never play it on iOS.

When you consider that most of the graphical effects were removed due to app size constraints that may one day be lifted (and should be), it's possible the game could be updated.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Yeah, I'm sorry but that looks more than acceptable even though I'd never play it on iOS.

When you consider that most of the graphical effects were removed due to app size constraints that may one day be lifted (and should be), it's possible the game could be updated.

I don't find it unacceptable just disappointing.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I loved it when I played this game on PS3 -- one of my favorites actually. That being said, iOS devices aren't yet at the point where they can match the experience of playing a high end game on a console--even a game that is several years old at this point.

When it gets to the point where an iPad can play a PS4 game at the same resolution/frame rate with the same quality of graphics *and* is as easy to control then I'll bite.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I can assure you that it is not currently working with my non-Bluetooth, Mfi gamepad. Other games like Asphalt 8, Sonic 2 and Angry Birds Go are working with this pad. All settings have been checked, and double-checked.

It looks like the site referenced is misunderstanding the difference between a Bluetooth game controller and an Mfi controller.

He did have a source, so the implication that he was blowing smoke was incorrect.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I don't find it unacceptable just disappointing.

I find people's expectations are misaligned with a reality that actually exists but eludes them, perhaps?

I find Bioshock released for iOS devices to be the most exciting thing. Granted, it's not my favourite game, I played it on my PS3, but not being a FPS gamer it wasn't the bee's knees for me. However, the world and graphics and story are very intriguing so I'm a fan in that regard.

Fast forward a couple of years and the same game is available on a device which requires no external monitor, no external speakers, no external power supply, no external controller, is thin as "all get out", is light weight, is self-contained and multi-functional, and yet people find that this game is disappointing running on that device.

That's a classic glass is half-full/half-empty jump to the negative side of life comparison. The fact that games that once ran on dedicated gaming consoles (which all required external controllers, monitors, power supplies and space for all components and itself) are now running on these diminutive devices I think is really incredible.

These devices aren't yet capable (strong emphasis on 'yet') of delivering the exact same experience, but that should be apparent. What I wonder is how expectations could be so misaligned, and what would actually impress someone unimpressed by this latest release. To be honest, I'm not sure it's actually possible. :confused:

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I guess it's cool that you can play this. Though if I ever really want to play it, I'll do it on my iMac with a big screen and mouse/keyboard.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

I know we should be moving on here, but I'm bummed about your news anyway. I have a Stratus controller and this would have been nice to be able to use #.

Hopefully a proper update to come is in order.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
When it gets to the point where an iPad can play a PS4 game at the same resolution/frame rate with the same quality of graphics *and* is as easy to control then I'll bite.

By which point the ps6 will probably be out and you'll be thinking the same again :p

The issue is the controls and the screen size. Graphics on a portable device will never feel as good as console/pc. It's easy to say in a few years when they look like ps4 games, but then we'll compare them to ps6 games and they'll look just as bad as they do now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.