Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
The video you see at the beginning 'Atlantic 1960', is just an AVI... the first bit of 'almost' actual gameplay comes after 8 minutes of the video, and even then it's still scripted with relatively little requirement from the GPU - and yet it is still jerky - well below 30 fps I'd say.

Uh, no. It's all in-game.

METOO999

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Welcome to consumer electronics. If you can't handle the PC upgrade schedule, stick to consoles.

I'm fine with my PS3 where I can play Warhawk and The Darkness and not worry about graphics cards, RAM, etc. I did play a few games on my black C2D Macbook like COD2, Dreamfall, and Half-Life 2.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I don't care what the article says. The X1900 line came out end of January 2006, because I bought mine on the release. For a video card, that is ancient history.

I know, that card is so antiquated, you should be ashamed of yourself for spending the money on it. Shame on Apple for not giving us a new card to buy every week. :p

The 2x Voodoo 2 cards in my PC junk box are ancient history if I want to exaggerate, not any card that's come in the past 3 years, especially not a card that can still play every new game released and will be able to for a few years. Yes, GPUs progress every 6 months, but comments like yours and PCMacUser lead to unnecessary waste from others that are too pliable to think on their own.

Oh no, I can't play this game, because I don't have the settings on max! :eek: What will I ever do? After all it's all about graphics and impressing others not gameplay! To continue my sarcasm, I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't have a 30" like me, because obviously they'll never be able to enjoy any game, because of their ancient sub-par resolutions. bleh. ;)

<]=)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Because it is typical of the hard-core PC gamers. One year is severely out of date.

I'm sorry, I'm just sick of the ridiculous upgrade cycle. There's enormous online peer pressure of sorts about graphics cards. They're almost instantly 'outdated' in everyone's eyes, and decent budget cards suck of they can't run the latest games at max resolution. It's just silly.

I blame it on peer pressure. :)

<]=)

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Because it is typical of the hard-core PC gamers. One year is severely out of date.

I'm sorry, I'm just sick of the ridiculous upgrade cycle. There's enormous online peer pressure of sorts about graphics cards. They're almost instantly 'outdated' in everyone's eyes, and decent budget cards suck of they can't run the latest games at max resolution. It's just silly.

the only thing more annoying is the "consoles are cheaper than PCs for gaming crowd"
i need a PC _anyway_ so it's never a 1500 vs 500 but a 200 vs 500 decision;)

(actual graphics card prices: old x1950 pro from asus <140 euro, 8800 GTS from MSI: <270 euro including taxes)
most PC gamers i know buy a cheaper PC and then simply slap in extra ram and a graphics card in the 150-200 range which will be good enough for 3 years

only idiots with too much money upgrade with 500$ cards every year
middle range on the PC is simply too good in terms of price/performance ratio to ignore

edit: oh and PC gaming dying ? i've heard that before... last time a console generation just has launched .. and the generation before
around here PC gaming is still the king

garethlewis2

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2006
You have obviously never seen what turmoil there is at the moment with DX10.1, that lovely little update which makes all DX10 cards obsolete. Every optional feature that DX10 has is now mandatory.

kiang

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
Unfortunately that video shows that the iMac is not fast enough to play the game at maximum resolution and settings. The YouTube video just shows the first 10 minutes of the game - which is entirely scripted. The video you see at the beginning 'Atlantic 1960', is just an AVI... the first bit of 'almost' actual gameplay comes after 8 minutes of the video, and even then it's still scripted with relatively little requirement from the GPU - and yet it is still jerky - well below 30 fps I'd say.

Having said that, if you drop a few settings, maybe down to the next resolution below native, you could have a playable Bioshock experience.

And I really do recommend playing it - I've played the whole thing through twice in the last week, much to my wife's bewilderment.

erm, no, The iMac in that vid is doing well, and no, it's not scripted at all, it's interactive. the plane scene is NOT an AVI: change the settings and you will see the difference--> not pre-rendered!

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I have an old iMac core duo, nothing special, and much to my surprise, Bioshock is completely playable at medium settings, with a strong framerate - I am not sure how to put a number on it, but I would guess 40 fps, give or take. I know this sounds funny, but I swear its true. I played the game for about half an hour so far, with absolutely no slowdown of any sort. I even tried it on high settings, the framerate went down, but believe it or not, it rarely stuttered for the 10 minutes I had the settings cranked, it was just a lower fps.

StonewallJ16

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Has everyone been using BootCamp to play Bioshock? Has anyone used Parallels or Crossover? I have been trying to get it on Crossover with little success. No matter what options I try, it will go through the installation process and nothing happens. Normally the application folder shows up automatically after you finish the installation process. Has anyone had experience with this?

Clipse79

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
When I saw the sytem requirments for windows for this game I pee`d a little in my pants. What a hog! Reminded me why I cannot keep up with the games out for pc and why I prefer console systems....If only the wife would let me play...Will trade good wife for new Macbook pro....

Deanster

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Great reminder that there are 'gamers', and there are people who play games.

Unless you introduce yourself as 'Hi, I'm [your l33t hAXor nam3 h3r3], and I'm a gamer', most video cards priced over $75 or so will work, and current apple video like the 2600, 1900XT, etc. are just dandy. I went wild and bought a X1900GT for my PC last year at a stunning $200 to allow playing 'Supreme Commander', and it's a great card.

If you are that type who possesses 'f34r my l33t sk1llz' mojo, and have $500+ annually in video card spend, then go for it, and call cards in current production 'severely out of date', but it's just silly to suggest that there are no games to be played on the 950 or any of the card-carrying macs.

You may be right that there are no gamers on 950, but it's dead wrong to say there is no gaming on 950.

Spartan-117

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007

I got to disagree here, yeh some people upgrade for being a hard core gammer. but the x1900 is really kinda old. The new generation cards even the 8600GTS are better at handling HD and blue ray decoding as it offloads it from cpu and can free up them extra processes, I just cant see why apple cannot keep up with things in the graphics market, maby power supply issue :rolleyes: the new generation cards are power hoggers needing 150+ watts each and 20 amps on the 12 volts rails each ....

Not everyone cares about playing games on the highest resolution ;) just comes as a bonus :D to building a rendering rig :)

MacAddikt

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
lord of the rings online

LoTRO runs excellently on a macbook just incase you guys were wondering...and the grafix are SPECTACULAR!

Thats with Bootcamp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.